Need help getting started.. Old tank cleaning

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Teeto86, Jul 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Teeto86

Teeto86 Plankton

I know you all are giving great advice and the right way to do it.. I am following it, but going to take me sometime to get it going. I have basically drained the tank and took out most of the gravel, there is still about 20% of gravel left that I will be removing. I find it difficult to remove the water entirely though... How do I get the last quarter of an inch of water out?

Thank you guys so much.

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Just siphon it out as much as you can then mop the rest up with rags. I still think you would be better off outside with a hose. You are going to want this sqeeky clean. Might take 4 guys to move it or 2 if they are buff.

zesty likes this.
  4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I would use a shop vac. Best of both worlds. To remove water and gravel.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I used my big shop vac on my current DT when I was water/flow testing, etc.

You can also prop the tank up some so that it all goes to one corner when there isn't very much water left to siphon out the bulk of it.

I'm also to assume that up until now, you're using FW, and not SW?

Sounds like you realize that when you're ready for SW- then you'll have to get it to cycle, etc.
    But I am jumping a head just a bit.

IMHO- depending on your tap water, it's not an absolute must to not use it.
    The TDS of RO/DI SW is astronomical- just depends what's in your tap.
    And- you don't even have to dechlorinate Tap for use in SW- it buffers it out anyways.
    Apparently, it's the chlorameans (sp?) is some tap that's not great.
    And yes, I too use my own RO/DI

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

the shop vac is so nice in this situation! I've done it many times to clean up the crap that sits in the bottom when trying to rinse out a tank.

Once you get that part, another tip I recently picked up, is to use a magic eraser (the plain, no soap or additive kind) and that will help clean up that glass. It works wonders!

7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Having a shop vac is as important as owning an RO unit. RO unit for great water and Vac to clean up accidental overflows LOL. We have all done it.

zesty likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Teeto86

Teeto86 Plankton

Aren't Shop vacs expensive? Should I look into purchasing one?

10. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

A small one is all you need generally about 30 to 50 bucks. Free for a one time use if you borrow one from a friend.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Do not even think about using tap water if you are serious about reefkeeping. Water is the single largest ingredient in a reef system and everything depends on its quality AND its stability. With tap water you have no idea what is or isn't in it and at what levels. It changes. Just because it is safe to drink does not make it safe for reef inhabitants. Chemicals like Prime do not remove contaminants from the water, they bind them up so they become less toxic or bothersome but they are still there. The buffers in the salt may remove chlorine but again, they do nothing for the other things present like copper etc. Its not work the risk when you start totaling up how much money you will have invested in inhabitants.

Modern salt mixes are designed to be used with RO/DI or distilled water so your NSW mix will contain everything you need AND at the proper levels so your water is consistent every time. I am a certified water treatment plant supervisor by profession and while I would not hesitate to drink it, I will not put it in my tanks. 30 years ago when I started out in this hobby, using treated tap water, I fought algae constantly and we had good deep well water at the time. The utility sold to the City and they intoduced treated surface water and the tanks went to heck quickly. I started purchasing RO water from a staffed water and ice type store and things improved but it was nnot until I purchased my first RO/DI about 20 years ago that things really turned around. Never again!

Billme, zesty and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  12. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

I would still try to get that tank out and clean it up real good ..
    Magic erasers are awesome ..I use them on the tank all the time ,inside and out ..

Billme likes this.