Need help getting started.. Old tank cleaning

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Teeto86, Jul 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Teeto86

Teeto86 Plankton

But I don't think thats the problem. I don't have that much residue on the glass some light algae marks that I can scrape off with a sponge.

Is that necessary? Sorry I am just trying to figure out why

2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I thought your tank was empty. Is it not?

4. Teeto86

Teeto86 Plankton

No fish. Old tank, Emptied it to about .5 inch of water, removed 50% of gravel to expose the old food and waste. Refilled, now cloudy and foaming, which I am okay with. I plan on doing a 50% water change weekly till clear. I want to transition into an bare bottom tank, than transition into a saltwater tank with sand at the bottom and start a salt water tank.

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I need the tank to look new again without any defections before I startstart

You are getting the best advice.

6. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

This unit will suit your needs just fine for now IMO.RO or RO/DI,both are far better than filling up your new set up with a garden hose.
    I have used RO only for years ..When i first started researching books about saltwater aquariums (about 20 yrs ago) they didn't even talk about DI water
    I also recently seen a poll(yeah i know ,polls are pretty useless,but anyway)that was taken and it showed that about 27% of reefers don't use either ..Just tap..Is it possible,obviously it is,just not advisable .

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...=pla&catargetid=530005150000091201&cadevice=c

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Billme likes this.
  7. Teeto86

Teeto86 Plankton

So it looks like the cloudiness is really clearing up now. I didn't do anything yet, and I am planning on looking into purchasing some RO/DI unit, just not sure which one yet.

There is still some floaties around, I think its algae.. which I am going to scoop out, also some gunked onto the tubes. Tomorrow, I am going to net out the floaties, remove the gunked out tubes from the aquaclear, remove atleast most if not all the gravel that is left, and do another massive water change before I order the RO/DI.

Just trying to flush out the tank, and dirty water before I get any further. Does that seem like an okay idea? Or does everyone still think I should find a way to empty out the tank, take it outside and scrub it down?

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

There are so many germs in there and unknown chemical contaminants...

10. Thor

Thor Coral Banded Shrimp

If it were me Teeto I'd find a way to drain it and scrub it out to be on the safe side. Just because the water runs clear May not mean you have gotten out all the contaminants. I would want to be certain I got it all out before starting up another tank, fresh or saltwater, but especially with saltwater aquaria.

zesty and Billme like this.
  11. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Was it RO/DI water that you put in there? If not and if you removed the gravel and put tap water back in; you're going to spend more time and money to get your water ready that you could be spending on the right equipment for your tank. Just bite the bullet, drain the tank, do a vinegar soak/rinse to get any and all the nasties that accumulate in the corners, the seams, the silicone etc. You will thank yourself in the long run. There is no real shortcuts in this hobby, just patience.

Starting out with RO/DI water is a must. I know this from making the same very mistake of using tap water, oh sure I used the dechlorinator, but that doesn't remove nitrates and phosphates that are much more potent in a SW reef system.

start reading all the forums you can find with newbie section or new to reefkeeping or something like that. I found a lot of people were having the same questions I was having when I first started up and then there was so much that I learned by reading (basically) other people's questions or (unfortunately) mistakes. Once you got the basics down, it's easy. I took a lot of notes on specific items that I was struggling with or always having to lookup, helped so much.

Just trying to get you started right, teets

Billme likes this.
  12. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Good advice given. Drain the tank completely. Water and vinegar in a spray bottle and a razor blade will clean the glass. Wipe it all down and let dry. Vacuum any leftover gravel and clean the bottom glass with the vinegar water. You don't need to take the tank outside it will just make for a faster clean up if you can. If starting with saltwater for the first time an RO unit would be wise. You'll end up spending much more time trying to battle algae and trying to get your parameters in check using tap water.

Billme and zesty like this.