NEED HELP! Coral dyeing and need solution!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by subzero3z, Mar 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

With ammonia anything more than 0 is a problem. The salinity should be raised to about 1.026 and you should only add salt water as top off until the number increases. So this should take several days.

Are you using API test kits? The ammonia on that is hard to read. Have you had any inhabitants die recently?

Your lighting info would still help ID possible problems with the coral.

2. Click Here!

3. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

Thanks. But how can I raise the salinity? I don't use fresh water in my tank because it is so low and it still stays that way.

4. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

To add I use API and a Camal Shrimp recently died under unknown circumstances.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There is no way your SG is staying low on its own. Evaporation and a steady climb in SG is unavoidable.

You need to double check your SG values against a refractrometer, and another hydrometer. If you do not have a refractometer get one.

Unless you have an automated top off and or a topping off with fresh water the SG will climb, there is no way around it.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

Attached Files:

7. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

If the shrimp was removed promptly it may not have increased the ammonia in the tank. API test kits are a little on the inaccurate side so i would test it again.

I don't know much about the BIOcube LEDs I will have to look that up before commenting on the lighting.

How steady does your temperature stay? Have you checked alkalinity at all?

+1 to what Corailline said about the SG. If you are adding salt water and not cleaning water off the floor your instrument for measuring SG may be not working. I would definitely double check that. SG fluctuations can destroy coral.

If your SG is getting too high this could be your problem.

Gabby likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm thinking the lighting is T5 bulbs? I think at this point, you'll want to know salinity for sure. Alkalinity is another important number to look at in terms of coral. I would try to make sure the corals are getting a good amount of flow - I'm afraid I don't know a lot about chalice care but it is probably more sensitive than the others. Kenya trees are pretty darn hardy and so are zoas (although can be temperamental). I would try to focus on getting your parameters in line as far as how to help the coral. As stated you can probably feed a little mysis.

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Your tank is suffering from a series of major imbalances between salinity, alk, ammonia and so on. The key here is stability. I'm sorry but that biocube will evaporate daily and your salinity will fluctuate. I've never had a tank that I didn't have to top off daily with fresh Rodi water. Until you correct these issues and get quality testing equipment I would refrain from buying any more coral.

mdbostwick and Corailline like this.
: Coral