NEED HELP! Coral dyeing and need solution!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by subzero3z, Mar 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

I have a 29 gallon Biocube that has been up and running for 3 months that I me and my brother both own (for financial purposes). Well here is my problem, my brother went behind my back and bought 4 Coral frags, a Hollywood Stunner Chalice, Pink Boobie Chalice, a Kenya Tree and a Orange Bam Bam Zoanthide. My tank was not biologically stable and we did not have a circulation pump but they looked fine for a week and then things got bad, the Kenya tree shriveled up, the Zoanthide didn't bloom and the Chalices turned gray and started to get hair algae growing on them (got rid of most the algae in the tank). I finally got a circulation pump (wave maker) in there 1-2 months later and it's been a week and things still look the same. Is there a chance of them coming back? Also I don't feed the Coral.
    Here are some pics. (Sorry about the quality)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  2. Click Here!

3. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

Need some more information:
    What are the water parameters? If you don't have test kits, temp and salinity are the BARE minimum we need to know.
    What lighting do you have?
    What other inhabitants are in the tank?

It's hard to see much with your pics, but it sounds like your Kenya and Zoas are simply unhappy, and should be fine if conditions improve. I don't see a chalice in the pics, so it's hard to tell what's going on with that one.
    And of course, welcome to 3Reef!!! :)

mdbostwick likes this.
  4. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

My water parameters are excellent for just starting out. Is there any way of making the Kenya and Zoas happy? Do I need to feed my coral.

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

+1 on all above. If you don't have the test kits, see if your LFS will test the water for you, take note of the brand test kit they use and get the numbers, "water is fine" is not the answer you want/need.

6. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

The parameters are good. I have a test kit.

7. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

I know I'm going to sound extremely ignorant but is feeding coral with the special stuff requaried or can I just feed them the regular fish food (mysis shrimp).

8. Click Here!

9. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

You do not need to feed the Kenya and Zoas, they do require adequate lighting and flow for photosynthesis. The Chalice would benefit from food, but it would not die after a couple months of going without.
    Saying your "parameters are good" does not help us resolve your troubles. If some parameters are slightly off, the consequences can multiply if you don't have adequate flow going (or if you went for a long while with no flow).
    Corals can eat mysis, but mainly thrive on smaller microorganisms and debris that comes with an established tank ime. If your chalice has polyps showing, you can try feeding it mysis and see if they stick.

It would still be really helpful if we knew your lighting, salinity, temp, and other inhabitants.

10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

A lot of corals don't need to be fed at all. Most are photosynthetic and get their food from the zoanthele in their tissue from your lights.

What lights are you using? brand of bulbs are good to know as well as how old they are.

Do you have your salinity, temp and Alkalinity #s?

Gabby likes this.
  11. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

Nitrate: 5.0 PPM
    Amonia: 0.25 PPM
    Phosphate: 0.5 PPM
    Calcium: 430 PPM

12. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

My water parameters:
    Nitrate: 5.0 PPM
    Amonia: 0.25 PPM