Need Help Asap Fish Dying !!!!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by paintball7, Mar 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paintball7

paintball7 Feather Duster

i know, but what im saying is that if the biowheels really are producing nitrates whats another way to go should i switch filters???? some people said get rid of them, but then others didnt think its a filter problem.............is there anytihng that i could do while keeeping the filters???????besides chemical treatments

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Filter is fine as long as your cleaning and changing filter pads often. Problem some say is with Bio wheel itself, take it off and toss it, run filter with out it.

I don't have a problem with running them, I do on 2 of my reef tanks with out any problems. So I guess I am one of those that thinks there is so meting else causing your problem. But the quickest way to find out is remove them for a while.

At the risk of repeating several people, how old is your tank? How much rock and sand do you have.

And STOP using tap water.. could be the source of your problem. If you don't want to buy RODI unit buy RODI water from LFS and haul it home in 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot or Menard's. That is what I do, 30 gallons a week at least for the next 2 weeks, that is when my Spectra pure RODI maxcap will be here.

4. paintball7

im looking into buying a RODI system just wanna pcik the right on!!!!! nowlive sand about a 1 inch base is on the bottom........and rock i have like 40 - 50 lbs ( yes i know that i shoud haea pound a gallon ) so im looking to getmore rock, but isnt that going to send my tank into anothe cycle?

5. Reefmadness

Reefmadness Plankton

like a few others have said, clean the media and a 10-20% water change. Then check levels tomorrow and do another small change. Don't go to fast on a big change I have noticed that it hurts the corals. Also I have had good outcomes using SeaChems Prime to stop a spike.

6. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

How old is this set up? I have a 75G and do 15G water changes 1X per month. I have 85LBS of LR, run chemipure elite, NO skimmer, 8 fish, corals, inverts and a bubble tip anemone that is ADD. My nitrates are 0 after a water change, by the end of the month,
    .5 . IMO...if you had the proper amounts of rock and stopped doing 50% water changes weekly, you would not be having these problems. You shouldn't need a biowheel or canister for that matter. Start slowly adding some rock, SLOW slow slow...5lbs of cured rock monthly should not give you a cycle. Do you know anyone w/ a tank thatwill give you some of their seeded rock? Or look on craigslist (or where ever) for someone parting out their tank.

7. paintball7

Hey everyone sorry i havent poted on this thread in while completly forgot about it!!! well its been like a week now and i have added some more rock........got the nitrates back up fish and everything is doing well!!!!!!!!!!

and does anyone know what these little white poofy llooking balls are on my clown fish????? i cant get a good enough pic, otherwise i would post on.......is he going to be alright?

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sounds like fungus to me?

Oh and "nitrates back up"? Do you mean up or down because nitrates going up is never a good sign.

10. paintball7

oh hahaha my fault i said up didnt i ?????? i meant down my bad