Need Help Asap Fish Dying !!!!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by paintball7, Mar 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

I say get rid of the biowheel, many people have complained that it raises Nitrates levels.
    You can place your fish in the other tank with the strong lights, just DIY a way to set 'em on top of the other tank. Check Seachem's deNitrate and/or Purigen.

You shouldn't use tap water. If you can't afford a full RODI system, a RO only would be better than what you're using now. Also, check Phosguard, it will take care of phosphates released by your carbon media (all carbons release phosphates no matter what the manufacturer says)

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Dont bother buying anything that claims it will get rid of your NO3, thats BS. Trust me, I have tried them ALL and nothing worked. You wnat to know what really worked, Cleaning my sponges and my filter pads at least once a week.

4. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

I actually tried Purigen and it got rid of an Ammonia spike I was having problems with.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

NH3/4 is way different. The NH3/4 products do work and so does the PO4 too.

6. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

A lot of people do use deNitrate though, but like you said Luna, cleaning the tank and peripherals is a must. I think products like deNi. will prevent some spikes, but they become obsolete if proper aquarium maintenance is not performed.

7. paintball7

paintball7 Feather Duster

DAy 2 of high nitrates no more fish have died my frogspawn as gone in and is showing his tips a little.....i put him in my 35 gallon. anyway the nitrates havent come down.....tank has a little cloudiness to it. i put some chemical i got today called CYCLE is says reduces fish loss and helps with nitrates im going to check the nitrate later to see how it went. ANYONE HAVE ANY MORE INPUT PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!! POST LET ME KNOW UR IDEAS

Clownfish you were talking about .................... full RODI system.......... im still new to alota stuff in the reef hobby would you or anyone mind explaining what it is? does ? how much and would it really be worth buying?..........and if anyone one would like to answer this for me to what is a sump??????

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

What is Reverse Osmosis?
    Reverse osmosis is a method for removing potentially harmful impurities from tap water. It is essentially mechanical filtration at the microscopic level. Water is forced through a membrane with microscopic pores that can filter out things like silicates, phosphates, nitrates, bacteria and heavy metals. Some units add a deionization system after the reverse osmosis in order to give ultra-pure water.

Do I Need an RO Unit?
    If your area has very good tap water, an RO unit may not be absolutely necessary. In most places, though, use of untreated tap water is not recommended. You should at least test for copper in your tap water before even considering using it. If your tap water contains copper, this will kill any and all invertebrates in your tank. Once it has gotten in your tank, it is very difficult to remove. Keep in mind that even if your tank seems to be doing fine on tap water for a while, the composition of the water can vary with time, and you may suddenly run into problems. If you do not want to spend the money on another piece of equipment right away, RO/DI water can usually be purchased from your LFS; but in the long term, you will probably save money by buying your own unit rather than always purchasing water from the store
    sump
    A sump is a separate container connected to the main tank where filtration takes place

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

what exactly is Really Really high Nitrates?

I truly believe that this could just be a matter of too many fish without enough LR. Also I would never do a 35G water change on a 75G (roughly half the tank) stick to 10% 7 to 10G if your doing weekly water changes. Your actually doing more harm than good at 1/2 the tank.

How old is your Tank? basically how long has water LR and Sand been in it?

If your Not using RO/DI water I would test the water you are using to see what the Nirtate level is in it?

J

11. paintball7

paintball7 Feather Duster

HEy guys sorry i havent psoted in while....havent been around much. Anway checked hte nitrates yesterday they went down to 0.25 better then what they were. No more fish have died, but i did loose my favorite coral the FROGSPAWN it had 7 heads to it and it was a beautifull piece.

Anyway i was reading some threads about biowheels and heard that they produce high nitrates ??????? well, if thats the case, what do you guys suggest i do about my filters........is there any other solution to help this from maybe happening in the future??
    i know it may happen to everyone once in a while, but if these biowheels are what are causing it what could i do maybe with out changing filters?????????

let me hear you suggestions!!!!!!!!!!1

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I believe there are about 30 suggestions in this thread that will help in lowering Nitrates