Need an I D plus some other pics of the not so common things...

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by geekdafied, May 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, most of them don't quarantine corals before they sell them because they stand to lose money. I'd rather lose a little bit of money than my entire stock but that's me.

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I feel the same way. What those people dont realize is a lot those pests, once you get them, they are a PITA to get rid of. Monti nudi's can easily wipe out all of your monti's. They will remain in your tank as long as you have monti's in it. The only to get rid of them, is remove all monti's and let the tank stay monti free for several months.

I delivered an order to a LFS and I was looking around their store, and found a nice zoa rock they got from another supplier, and traded them out of it. Got it home, low and behold, it was covered in nudi eggs, you dont see the eggs when the polyps are open.

I have a PC desk lamp with 6700K bulb in it and benchtop magnifying glass and surgical tools I use for looking corals over. Im to the point now that if I see a polyp with eggs, I remove the whole polyp. Im not risking it. It doesnt matter if its Purple People Eater polyp or a poop brown polyp, it gets removed and dispossed of.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I learned about monti nudis the hard way. I won't ever buy corals from an LFS again and I really don't need to anymore. Luckily, Roger's corals are pest free and they have fantastic quarantine procedures for incoming coral stock.

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I dip and quarantine EVERYTHING, then dip again when it comes out of quarantine just incase. I also throughly inspect them during quarantine. It really chaps my hind quarters when I hear about some place selling stuff the day it comes in. Thats irresponsibility plain and simple.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It's all about the money Geeky. Plain and simple.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Its all about the almighty dollar to them, but not their customers. They think they're getting a good, quality coral/fish, when in fact that coral/fish just travelled around the world in a little bag going through god knows what. Then people, newbs especially, wonder why that new fish/coral kicked the bucket in just a few days from purchase. Its discouraging for the newbs, and advanced alike. People wonder wth they did wrong when infact they just bought a stressed coral/fish that was half dead in the first place.

I was a customer before I was a seller. I am trying to sell corals/inverts with the type of quality that I myself expect to buy from a quality source with below average prices. Im not money hungry, reef aquaria is a passion to me. When I have properly maintained systems, with healthy, disease and pest free corals and other critters, thats a job well done to me.

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I bought a devil's hand that I believe had an internal parasite from one LFS, and a finger leather covered in flatworms from another LFS. I got some nice new stuff this weekend from JustPhish. I trust his livestock to be healthier and cleaner than what the LFS has.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Now you know why a quarantine tank for corals has become a must have item in this day and age :(

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I try all I can to sell healthy corals, but I still tell people to quarantine them. Ya just never know.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No, you most certainly don't. That's why I'll only trust corals that come from Roger's systems unless they're quarantined by me for a while. :)