Need advise on new tank setup.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by origin05, Aug 15, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Yes you will find the damsel method of cycling espoused in books and in the retail fish trade, but that doesn't mean that there is a better method available.

On the contrary, rotting shrimp will create plenty of ammonia and when combined from the die off that comes with the curing of the live rock you place in your tank, will provide the conditions necessary to produce the bacteria necessary for the denitrification process to occur. In addition, seeding your tank with a cup of sand from an established tank or adding the cultured live sand available at the LFS should give you all you need for a successful cycle without impuning the damsels.

Just call this a little something learned collectively by hobbiests that is, in my opinion, a more humane method than is contained in the retail body of knowledge.

2. Click Here!

3. origin05

origin05 Plankton

So Craig,

Do you mean I'll get those raw prawns from the supermarket probably 4-5 of em and put them into a net and soak the whole thing into the tank ? Will this helps to speed up the cycle? Sounds like contaminating the water to me tho ... :) anyway... i'd try that if it's recommended.

Rgds

4. Craig Manoukian

Yep, let them get a good smell  and when it drives you out of the house, take the stocking with the shrimp out in the yard and bury it.  The smell will be the ammonia that kick starts your cycle and dentrifying bacteria will be produced.  Let cycle 8 - 10 weeks and then you can start adding critters.  Make sure all the LR and sand you want is in the tank when you start.

5. origin05

origin05 Plankton

well , I had added 3 damsels into my empty tank .... :)
    they don't really seems aggressive tho and the 3 i bought is pretty small in size. I did'nt choose those big ones of course. btw craig, is it possible to add in LS with the nylon and raw shrimp technology which you've mentioned earlier on? My tank had just past its 2 weeks cycle and I supposed it would'nt last that long coz of my tank size. Also I've those LR kicking and the process should end faster now i suppose.

One thing is my temperature is always at about 28-30. Damm it though ... but issit to hot for my fish community?
    I'm planning to add in a few clowns and small blu tang. And probably 2 small bubble corals. Other than chilling method .. anyway to lower down the temp. of the water? Will it helps if i add in 1 powerhead for better water circulation?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Sup guys ... well, just got myself an Eheim classic ext filter yesterday for my tank ... any comments on that ?

7. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=origin05 link=board=Newbie;num=1061018369;start=0#13 date=08/23/03 at 02:43:15]well , I had added 3 damsels into my empty tank .... :)[/quote]

Not to be nagative, but if I understand you correctly youve already added fish and this is not recommended until you have added the sand and live rock and then alloweed the tank to cycle 8 - 10 weeks.

Your tank is running at 82.4 - 86 degrees fahrenheit.  The mean or average temperature in the ocean for your Indo-Pacific fish community is 80 degrees with salinity at 36ppt or specific gravity at 1.025.  The range is usually 78 - 82 degrees or 25 to 28 degrees celsius.  You may want to add a fan blowing across your tank to cool it or a chiller is not uncommon in equatorial zones to cotrol tank temp.  Chillers are more appropriate for larger tanks in my opinion.  You can also float a few ice cubes in a plastic bag to help lower the temp.

Tangs need at least 48" inches or 122 cm in lateral swim length.  I strongly advise against putting a blue tang in your tank.

HTH

:) ;) :D ;D :eek: 8) ::)

8. Click Here!

9. origin05

origin05 Plankton

aahhh... well i've no intention of doing any kamikazes ... they are doing fine in my tank till this moment.My LSands and LR is already in place for 2 weeks craig. :) They seems to be living happily. I've also include a eheim classic ext filter. Am i still short of anything ? Anyway, eheim users I need help with the connection of the air valve.I've bought the valve connectors for the release and holding of water but is not sure on how to connect it. (not shown anywhere ) do i put the connector at the bottom of the filter device or the top part of the water device? Pls advise.

10. Craig Manoukian

I have no experience with Eheim products, so someone else will have to help here, sorry!

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Eheim classic canister filters are great. I'd still use a skimmer though. ;)

I had two Eheims before, very quiet and easy to prime. I don't know what you are talking about though. Mine didn't have an air valve. Do you have a pic of the connectors? The only connectors I had were the quick release ones on the water lines.

12. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

hello guys, i am back, what's up lately? Did you guys give a helping hand to my hubby? :) just drop by to say hello and take care guys