Need Advice!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Hippocampus, Apr 29, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm always so excited to hear about someone taking the saltwater plunge! Freshwater tank keeping is great experience for keeping a saltwater aquarium. You know a lot from keeping all those guppies :) it sounds like you've done a great job of research (this part of the hobby never ends) and finding the forums will be very helpful! You are going to love the salt side of the hobby! I think what you've already done should make for a great start. Just give the cycle time to complete and definitely update your progress here and ask questions! we love to help newbies - I really enjoy the excitement of a new hobbyist - especially since you've probably thought about this for some time and finally getting it accomplished is going to be so much fun for you!

Hippocampus likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Hippocampus

Hippocampus Astrea Snail

Thanks!! I very much plan on asking lots more questions ;) And as my water, sand, and rocks should be getting here tomorrow, more questions are probably coming up quick. Especially when it comes to acclimating the new corals and inverts. Never done that before.

4. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

ask a bunch of questions, also do your research..Ive been in this hobby 8 years and i still research stuff.. Its never ending.

Just take your time and enjoy it. It will be easy to rush things.

It takes 1 hour to notice something wrong with your tank and a month or more to see positive results..

5. Hippocampus

Hippocampus Astrea Snail

I thought I'd do some before pics...

image.jpg
    ^^snug little corner. Excuse the mess lol.

image.jpg
    ^^Just a closer look.

image.jpg
    ^^The filter set up. Does this look good??

image.jpg
    ^^Light box.

image.jpg
    ^^With the day lights on.

image.jpg
    ^^Night lights.

6. saints fan 420

dont hold me to this.... but i think most people with these tanks take the bio balls out the second chamber and put their heater in there to make the tank look "cleaner"

again dont hold me to it... hopefully someone that has/had one of these can chime in.

7. Hippocampus

Hippocampus Astrea Snail

Yeah, I read that several places too. But here's my reasoning (I could very well be way wrong, so please correct me) the heater has a digital screen on the front that reads the set thermostat temp and whatnot, and I originally tried fitting it in the pump compartment, but it was just so tight and not enough maneuverability room. I wouldn't be able to see the screen or anything (not really sure if this matters). And the bio balls don't hurt anything, do they? I mean if looking at the heater is a sacrifice for all the help in filtration I can get, then why not? And I guess I could always change it later if I decided.

8. Click Here!

9. saints fan 420

bio balls are bad because they hold detritus which makes your nitrates go through the roof. Your rock will be plenty of surface area for bacteria..

10. Hippocampus

Hippocampus Astrea Snail

Oh. Well them suckers are coming on out then haha.

...Bio Balls have been "eradicated." Lol. I also did a little more playing around with the pump positioning and was able to fit the heater in there with it (heater is too big to fit where the bio balls were).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Corailline likes this.
  11. saints fan 420

Sounds good, should make your tank cleaner looking.

12. Hippocampus

Hippocampus Astrea Snail

Okay, so the rocks, sand, and water are supposed to be here today. I read that you have to rinse the sand out?? And I'm not sure what you're supposed to do to your rocks if they are dried (dead).