Necessities for a freshwater aquarium

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by stauchistory, Sep 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

Over the years, I've dabbled with freshwater aquariums, but never really went into them full throttle. I've always had 10 gallon tanks with a power filter, undergravel filter, and a power head, along with the usual cheesy decorations, gravel, and various fish. My daughter currently has 2 such tanks, and I'd like to combine them to a larger one to make life much easier.

I'd like to hear from the experts on what the necessities are for a freshwater aquarium. Questions I have are:

What is the best gravel to use, or maybe I should say gravel type/size? Pros and cons of gravel?
    Can sand be used or is there something similar? Pros and cons?
    Is an undergravel filter needed, or are their other options for biological filtration?
    Is it safe to use rocks from creeks and streams for decorations?
    Is it safe to use wood for tank decorations or is it best to buy from a store?
    What is needed to have live plants in a tank?
    Are the requirements for a FW aquarium the same as one that houses a turtle, crayfish, frog, and fish?

My daughter currently has some carnival won goldfish, some tetras, a few feeder fish that she didn't want her turtle to eat, and my pride and joy, a Banjo Catfish. I saw one of them in a book years ago, but never saw one in a store until a few months ago. As I stated, I'd like to have them in a larger tank, and that is the reason for my questions.

As for the last question, I can break that down into another topic if that would be easier.

Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

sostoudt

4. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I kept freshwater for 5 years prior to a Reef, and have done more research on them than I did in my area of study at University lol. I recommend freshwater ... my heart is still with fresh!

Best of Luck.

Here are some of my tanks ... just for reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. stauchistory

Appreciate the replies so far. A few more questions I thought of:

What water parameters need checked with FW besides PH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

What type of water flow is needed? I've always had a power filter and power head with my undergravel filter but I had small tanks too.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you probably don't even need PH unless you have very sensitive fish.

the flow is pretty much optional, and kinda varies on the fish some fish may get enough flow from the filter alone. personally i like a good bit of flow for goldfish.

7. stauchistory

When it comes to filtration for FW aquariums, what are the best types of filters to use? HOB power filters? Canister filters? Is there other options available?

Just trying to get updated on the latest equipment types out there.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

thats a very open question

alot of people like canisters, with bigger fish people like wet/dry's, for small tanks people like the simplicity of HOB's. for fry tanks people like sponge filters powered by airstones. and some people still even use UGFs(although alot less now).

10. stauchistory

I'm not familiar with wet/dry filters or sponge filters. I'll have to check Google to learn more about them.

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Wet/dry are bioballs with only a little bit of water running over them; it's also called a trickle filter. Biocubes have this in the back middle compartment, if you're familiar with them. A sponge filter is pretty much just a powerhead with a big sponge on the inlet, or an airstone to move water through a sponge, for mechanical filtration.

12. freshwater

freshwater Plankton

I have a question about a 55 gallon lighting for freshwater tank. I have just recently moved to a bigger tank and I seem to not be able to keep the water clear. Any suggestions