natural play sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by iLLwiLL, May 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Functionally, there is nothing wrong with silica sand. However, it will in fact stratch glass easier than aragonite and it is rather ugly. Also, there is a third part that is debatable and that is that some people think silica sand will release silica into the water......which diatoms love. I dont think the diatom theory holds very well, but the first two reasons are good enough for me.

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I would read the data sheet from their website
    http://www.sakrete.com/downloads/products/Sakrete_MultiPurposeSand_Datasheet.pdf

It is Silicate. It also state things like , can be used as kitty litter. But no where does it say for aquatic use.

Proceed at your on risk. Surly not a good idea to try and skimp here when the otheer investments will be greater.

Oh and..

WARNING: AVOID BREATHING DUST.
    CONTAINS CRYSTALLINE SILICA. Prolonged
    exposure to crystalline silica dust is known
    to cause lung cancer or delayed lung
    injury, including silicosis.

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I guess double2mk determined that it is infact silica based, but to answer your question in case you were still curious--yes. Balsamic vinegar would work. It's the acetic acid in vinegar that you're after; which balsamic contains.

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

i'm going to pick up some live rock sometime this weekend, the guy said he had some sand also. if i can get it cheap enough i may pick it up. i really appreciate all the helpful advise, but i still find it kinda odd that there's no one with any kind of first hand experiences with this stuff.

~Will.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hey Will, there may be, its just maybe they are not posting yet or on site at present
    Sand is a small% of the costs that will go into your set up
    nobody on this thread until now, wants to tell you to use something that they are not 100% confident is right for you

Steve

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

found an interesting article here that seems mostly revelant. might be worth a read, sorry if its not cool to link to something off this site, mods please let me know if its not ok and i'll take care of it.

~Will

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

That's an interesting article. So perhaps silicates don't end up in your water from silica based sand. I've always been one to accept new information.

However, if for no other reason, you should know that calcareous sands can buffer your pH (a good thing), whereas silica based sands cannot.

I suppose if you keep on top of your parameters, and prefer to use the silica sand, no harm done.

FWIW, I wouldn't use it because it lacks buffering capabilities.

10. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Sort OT, pet peeve related: I read that article, if anyone knows the author, tell him glass IS NOT a super cooled liquid. It's an amorphous crystalline solid. Glass can ONLY be considered a liquid when it hits its transition temperature. For Soda-Lime glass (float glass) that temperature is around 1000 F.

FWIW, Old windows are thicker at the bottom because old glass made before the molten tin float bed was used had imparted variances in its thickness as a result of being hand rolled. The thicker edge was usually glazed at the bottom edge as simple practice, and did not "flow" over a period of decades or centuries. Studies done show glass doesn't change form in any measurable way at STP ever. It takes a lot of heat to make glass move. I know. I melt glass every day.

back to the real topic at hand....play sand isn't very attractive, and just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's long term cost wont be higher. For one thing it's got a VERY fine grain and is often loaded with dust/silt, so when you wash 100# you'll probably loose 25# in dust.... worth it?

one alternative would be to use silica drilling sand. You can usually get it locally since it's used to drill water/oil/gas wells. Call around to a well driller and see if they can help you. Drilling sand is all graded to a specific grain size and packs in pretty well.

A word of caution on silica tho, in salt water we need lots of calcium (lime), and calcium + silica = cement. So adding limewater could result in your sandbed turning to solid rock, which your burrowing friends may not appreciate.

I would suggest the best marine aquariums are those which mimic nature as close as possible. Not to say you have to build a biotope style reef, but when was the last time you went to the ocean and saw the sea floor made up of play sand? 100# of dry argonite and 20# of live sand would set you back $100-130, well worth it in the end.

That's my 2¢

-Doug

11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

now theres 2 points i really like for reasons not to use this sand. thanks very much guys, i'll do my absolute best to get some decent sand (but i'll never stop being cheap ;D), and use that play sand in my back yard to fill in the holes my dam dog loves to dig.

~Will.

12. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

Cheap

OMG,,,,,,,he said cheap!!!!!!!

Hope you dont get neg. k for that!!!

LOL IMO only! this is not for just the rich no MORE!!!!

I make 7 per hour 25 hours per week!

I dont have a reef but in 5 years i might!

If i wasn't cheap i wouldn't even try this hobby