Resolved Nasty looking worm UPDATE 1/16/11

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Magnus, Jan 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

They are ridiculously fast and never leave their rock hole. So traps probably won't work. I have had good results squirting Aiptasia X in the smaller ones holes when I saw them near snails. I don't know if this kills them, but it stops them from coming out of their hole and allows the snail to move away.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Maybe trying sealing the hole with epoxy or glue.

2 people like this.
  4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

+1 this is would I was going to suggest. You could also use kalk paste if you have it.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I can remove the rock, but I have some sponges on it that i like for the extra filtration. I'll do this as a last resort. Thanks for the warning about the latex gloves, i somewhat thought I was safe from the sting this way. Thanks again.

I guess sacrificing one to save many isn't such a bad idea. Also, very nice colors on that lunar eclipes, I'll look around to see if I can find them for trade :)

I've seen some traps that work with regular bristle worms, do you think they're not going to work with this guy? Did you get to try any? If i find one that's promising, I want to make sure they work for these too. Thanks for the heads up!!

Excellent idea!! The guy stretches pretty far, so if I can eventually patch all the holes he can come out from, he'll starve! I'll try this today since I have the epoxy handy. Thanks for the great idea 2in10!

- Mag.

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Definitely an Eunicid worm! Thanks for the ID, guys!
    What made me certain is where on the description it says they use these side legs for added traction when moving around plus the side to side motion.... kind of like a centipede. Man they're ugly!! I need to find a way to get him out. May have to take this rock out after all and end up killing the sponge as well :(

7. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I read on another site to take the rock out and shoot club soda into its hole, and this will drive it out. Seems to have worked for the people who tried it.

8. Click Here!

9. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

I've never tried traps so I can't say for sure. If you find a trap that works, post it! I could use one too :).

If I had epoxy or kalk paste I'd try them out. I've read they can bore through rock and they seem to eat anything. So I'm skeptical about them starving. However, injecting something like kalk paste first. Then sealing shut entrances may work.

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I'm going to the store in a little bit so I'll get some club soda or seltzer (I think it's the same) to try. I've heard about this too a while back, so it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the reminder :)

11. chadwielinga

chadwielinga Astrea Snail

I've had my fair share of bristle worms but so long at they don't grow more more then a few inches you can catch them with traps fairly easily at night.

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Well, guys... I've tried to get him out of the rock with the sparkling water or club soda.... any carbonated water should do the trick, but so far it did not work.
    I poured over a gallon of club soda on this rock but it did not work. Are there any chances that he may have moved somewhere else? I really hope he's still there and dying, since I decided to leave the rock in the bucket with the club soda. If sponges and other things on die (which I'm sure they will) it's ok... i rather have the worm out of there. Hopefully he did not picked up camp and moved to another rock. I'm hoping, by the amount of empty cerith shels on that corner that this is his permanent residence.

Wish me luck! But if I don't find a dead worm on the bottom of the bucket tomorrow, I'll boil it and later bleach it. Bacteria will eventually find its way back to it.

- Mag.