Nano enough for a clam?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by mallasee, Feb 23, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

Hello everyone,
    I am interested in buying a 12 gal Aquapod. It has 2 27W PC's(4.5 watts per gallon?) for light. I was wondering if this would be enough to keep a clam. And if so what kind of clam?

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well...in my opinion although a clam might be able to survive under those watts per gallon, it is not all about the WPG...the small bulbs might not be intense enough for the clams 1, and because it is a 12 gal tank, it will take alot of work to keep the levels balanced...im not saying its impossible, im just saying it might be alot of work and might be worth investing in mh

4. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

my thoughts too....another suggestion would be to take a look at nanotuners.com and get yourself a 70w mh retrofit. and it also may be in your best interest to purchase a small iceprobe to help with heat issues if you do end up going that route.

5. JAFO

JAFO Astrea Snail

How tall is the nano? It's the intensity of the lights that are important for a clam. How close are the lights to the water?

6. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

The tank dims are 16.5"L X 12"W X 13.75"H. The Aquapod has a built in hood so I dont see the light being more than 2 - 3 in from the water surface. Also I was planning on using a 20 long for a sump/refugium and for my protien skimmer.

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

There is also the issue of the adult size of the clam. Some of them get huge and even the small ones end up at 8" across. That is like half the size of the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. JAFO

JAFO Astrea Snail

I would do a switch us the 20 as a tank and the nano as your sump/fuge.Go with a purple or deep blue derasa. Don't worry about the size, you have plenty of time to change the calm or tank out if need be.