Nano clam?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Va Reef, May 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

When Corceas come in they are ususally 4-5" already, instead of Maximas which are 1-2", meaning he could keep the Maxima longer and it would suck up less from the start. JMO

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would try a Derasa or Squamosa, over 2 inches. I have attempted to keep several smaller clams, IMO they are much more prone to dying. As Vinney posted they will deplete ca and lower alk more than you might expect.

4. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Very good idea- I would say possibly a Crocea, but you will need to maintain calicum and probly have to add some food once a week- but not very much, temps might need to be a tad higher too. I want to see it when you get it set in there.

BTW, it would be best if you choose a mature Crocea- that way feeding may not cause issues w/such a small tnak.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

the problem with that is a small clam needs to be fed. After they reach around 2 1/2 inches they can survive on light alone.

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I didn't know that! Cool, sorry, no idea....

1 person likes this.
  7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

so my LFS has purple maximas around 1.5-2" should i let them grow? (minus the fact that i need cash) lol

8. Click Here!

9. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

No, you can go ahead and get them...But, if you need cash..then..ehh...Time for Fish Loan from the bank :D hahaha

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

well and good water quality ;) LOL. i talked to my LFS yesterday, they said that i really shouldnt try it, but i think they under estimate me alot cuz im young. but i guess thats a good thing because that shows that they arent in it for the money SO much.

personally i AM up for the challenge, i know im gonna have to dose more often, but its a price im willing to pay.