Name your ugly coral.

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Corailline, Apr 11, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

For me it's the color and shape that attracts me to a certain coral. I have seen some chalices that you couldn't give me but its still my favorite coral. It's funny though, as my time in this hobby goes on my taste in coral has changed drastically. I remember looking at acropora and thought who would want those in there tank! Crazy right.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I guess I need a new avatar then.

CBSurfrider likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Don't judge me Vinny! LOL :p:p:p:p:p I got five icons to your mere 3.

Yep nailed it, my taste have changed also. BUT I still love the look of Xenia and some of the soft corals, they are too invasive to consider currently.

No do not change your avatar, but you do have some nice sps to show off. :rolleyes: If everyone liked the same thing it would be soooooo boring.

Vinnyboombatz, Mr. Bill and DSC reef like this.
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

6. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

It's the Fox Coral for me. It just looks so.... fleshy. Kinda gross really, like something you might want to get checked out by your doctor.

DSC reef and Corailline like this.
  7. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Okay - I am going to side with Vinny here... yes i said it!!!!! I have a Hollywood stunner that is about 14" long and goes up the back of a tank and looks awesome. My Scolies have unreal colors - especially my war paint when the blues kick in, I agree its in the eye of the beholder but the nly thing I regret adding to my tank was my GSP - and not because I dont like the way it looks - I really like how it moves with the flow - but its the way it spread that I dont love. :2thumbsup:

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Exactly, same reason I am not a big fan of the Tongue Coral.

If a tank contains any of the corals I listed it can still be an absolutely stunning tank. There is no way I am paying 500.00 dollars for a Scoly, but I would not pay 350.00 dollars for a frag of Orange Passion either (sps).

Some people can not stand the look of Clowns, they think they look like common gold fish. I used to think Wrasses looked like Siamese Fighting fish.

If everytank was had only pastel zeovite driven sps I would be bored to tears, but I really like that look.

Ok Zombie Vinny. I like Turtles too!

DSC reef likes this.
  10. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Wait - hold on - I would NEVER pay $500 for a coral! I draw the line at $400! LOL Just kidding. My Scolys were extremely reasonable. All under $100

Wait - you don't like my Wrasse either?? Ha ha

DSC reef likes this.
  11. Corailline

I know you're being tongue in cheek, now!!!!!!!!:p:rolleyes:

Wrasses have grown on me, at first no was not a fan. I would definitely buy Wrasse if I had a bigger tank, I have been coveting them for a couple years now.

Send me your Scoly with the blue and I will see if I can be converted. :eek:

evolved and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I'll not only name my ugly coral, I'll name the corals I like that nobody admits they like.

GSP, I have some and love it. I have it separated to one rock and it's a great eye-piece and good motion. Plus, I'm seeing some cool multi-colored GSP coming out?
    Xenia, when done right looks great and has good movement.
    Blue clove polyps------ That's me drawing the line there, I don't care for these guys that much.

I'm a fan of anything that grows funky, I like to take corals and rotate them to change their growing structure.

I used to have a greater love for chalices than I do now... I had a hollywood stunner, it grew so fast, I had to frag it. It also had such crazy sweepers, it needed a fenced off DMZ for protection. It's not called a stunner for it's looks...

- Hydnophora, I just don't like it, too aggressive and just isn't that interesting to me.
    - I'll join the lepto game, I have a green one, it covered a rock and now I'm trying to sell that rock.... haha
    - Scolys, yeah they look wicked awesome and I bet would look like a psychedelic bullseye target in my tank under the blues. But that $300 isn't worth it for the mind trip.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.