Name your ugly coral.

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Corailline, Apr 11, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I see people post or say, " I do not like the look of Acropora", which amazes me because I find the look very aesthetically pleasing. Smooth skin or rough with exaggerated coraillite structures, it's hard for me to find an ugly acropora.

In my opinion Scoly's are ugly (no offense to scoly owners), sure they have some great color. I just do not get the attraction. There has got to be a lot of hobbyist that love the look because man they are still expensive. I could go on and on about what the appeal is with having a bunch of red/green donuts sitting in a tank but I will stop.

What is your ugly coral?

Oh lets try not to offend, just because you like an ugly coral it is no reflection on you as a hobbyist or a person.:p

Mr. Bill, DSC reef and mdbostwick like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Not ugly, but I never really got into chalice. Rich colors, but they do nothing for me; same with ZOA's.

Corailline likes this.
  4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Psammocora bores me to tears to look at although I still find them fascinating and can't help but keep a couple anyway.

Fun thread idea

Corailline likes this.
  5. Corailline

Hollywood stunner is anything but stunning, I have seen it in person many times. Now watermellon/pink boobies/bubble gum I like.

I am a pretty big zoanthid fan, but not huge palys, weird I know.

Same here.

Leptastrea has the same effect on me.

I used to really like the Tachy, but now I see a Tacky nahhh, love Wellso though (or I should say folded brain). Can not stand Caulastrea, so much so that I have never owned one and that is saying a lot.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I agree with a lot already mentioned, Scolys and chalice don't really do anything for me. Didn't know i didn't like Psammocora until Mike posted.

Can't agree with the zoas but the big palys; Caribbean Jade, People Eaters, Death Palys, don't care for.

Bubble coral doesn't do it for me either but the thing(s) I really think are ugly are leathers. They do absolutely nothing for me and I will probably never have any.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Candy cane. That one wins the "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree Award", IMO. What could possibly be attractive about a stick with only a few drab-colored miniature squashed donuts scattered about?

Kevin_E, DSC reef and mdbostwick like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

YES! I agree they get the uglist coral award. Because they are an easier lps and a fast grower must be the reason they are so popular it's definitely not beauty.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

If we want to count anything in the Anthozoa class as coral then I have to say aiptasia lol but seriously I have to say pocillopora, mainly because of the whole polyp bailout thing.

11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

LMAO

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Pffft beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.I like candy canes.They glow (some)under actinics and grow fairly quickly.They also make a great coral for fish to hide/sleep in.:p
    Who couldn't love a candy apple scoly???o_O
    Such open hostility on 3reef.:eek::D
    http://www.maast.org/album.php?albumid=249&attachmentid=10077
    #8 http://www.3reef.com/threads/coral-pic-update.97579/
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597 321 454&pcatid=454
    Of course a couple little sticks does not a colony make.Yessssssss.:)
    I am disqualified here because I love them all.:p:p:p

Mr. Bill and DSC reef like this.