Name That Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by xfactor6, Oct 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Meant to tell you that Rowa is best used in a reactor. Don't know about the others. Something to keep in mind I guess.

Good luck!

2. Click Here!

3. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

To go off on what media to use, I use phoslock. (made by pura) unclejed mentioned this too. You want to stay away from any PO4 media that contains aluminum oxide, or hydroxide due to it's partial ability to bind to PO4, once all the oxides are spent...they will start unbinding and releasing those PO4's back. This is because the bond between the aluminum and the oxygen isn't as strong.

On the other hand, ROWAphos and phoslock is ferric oxide. the bond between the iron atom and the oxygen atoms are much stronger and has paramagnetic properties, thus allowing it to hold the PO4 ions longer. regardless, you still need to change them out because they can only hold so much PO4. IMO go with anything that contains ferric oxide, or says that it is GFO (granulated ferric oxide), i say go with phoslock because it is cheaper than most GFO's, but i still hold true by the statement "you get what you paid for". good luck!!

If you want more info on GFO and it's ability to bind to organic chemicals like PO4, look up ferrofluids (pretty cool stuff!!) they also use this stuff in MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) for contrast agents!! crazy what goes into your reef tank to simply control PO4's and algae :)

4. Petunia760

Petunia760 Astrea Snail

Ok...so...I've about had it with this funk in my tank...I live in the boonies so my LFS is Petco, which means that I'm forced to research on the internet & books, or call the nearest fish place which is 2 hours away...all this time I thought I had a major outbreak of cyano (because of what I researched)...and now someone is telling me that its not...I called the place thats 2 hours away from me, and he said cyano is red or green only, is this true? He insists that I have a standard brown algae bloom...sooo...I've taken some pics in hopes someone can "Name that algae"...lol...I know what needs to be done to control it, my nitrates are a bit high, so I'm working on that, I don't have a skimmer yet, but I'm working on that too...I just want to know what this stuff is...is it cyano, or not? What do you think :confused:

[​IMG]
    It's doing a little better since I've had the lights off (or so it seems)...there are just patches here, where it was all covered yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    It's on the glass too...and you can see it moving with the current, so I know my flow is fine.
    [​IMG]
    Another closeup, funk on the substrate, and glass..
    [​IMG]
    Can you see how it's stringy?

5. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

tundraburg - i think you have green coralline

6. johnmaloney

petunia - you have cyano - phosphates are your problem more than nitrates. Some added flow and a clean up crew will help get rid of it.

7. johnmaloney

xfactor6 - LFS guy led you astray. Sea hares are pets more than cleaners. They have specific dietary needs, (not all algae will work GHA will though), and there care really is something you have to target, rather than a true cleaner that can live off food in there already.

8. Click Here!

9. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

45 mins seems a little low to acclimate. i know i spelt that wrong.

10. xfactor6

xfactor6 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i changed half of my bulbs and now have i have noticed tha some of the algae on the sand is disapearing, I think that the lights that came with the fixture were contributing to the algae, also getting some coraline on my power head since i installed them, its only been since thursday when i got them, could it just be a coincidence? i am thinking of changing the rest of the lights over but what should i get? 2 more of the same uvl bulbs?1uvl 75.25 bulb1uvl super actinicnova exteme 10k bulbnova extrem 460nm bulb