Name That Algae!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mdbostwick, Mar 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

How high did you get Mag, and how long did you keep it there for? I would go at least 1800, if not a bit higher. Keep it there for a couple weeks.

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Nuke the rock if its possible to remove it.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I would remove that rock. Freeze it overnight. Remove the Bryopsis and put back in.
    Those phosphate test kits are high range. They read zero because the are not meant for the low range which is what you need if you really want to find what the PO4 is.

Bryopsis grows in low nutrient tanks so it will still live no matter how hard you try with the PO4. But you do need to get the PO4 as low as you can to slow it's growth. Just get a Hanna checker and I would go for the phosphorus vs. the phosphate version.

Also what was your mag when you started?

This is just my thinking so nothing to really back it up but...

It is believed there is some impurity in the Kent Marine Tech M that kills the bryopsis. So if your mag is already fairly high ... say around 1400 ish and you take it to 1600 that's a gain of 200 with Tech M and may not be enough. Ideally what I would do is let my mag get a little low then take it from 1250 ish to 16,17,1800 then the gain with Tech M is greater and if the theory is true you would have more Tech M in the system to help kill it.

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I guess I am gonna need a bigger bottle. I am not sure how high the Mag was but i am guessing 1350 since that is what my salt says it should be. I have raised it to 1600 at this point and have almost gone through the entire bottle. It is in several places so removing the rock it is on is more like removing all the rocks so not a good chance at any removal method requiring removing the rock itself. This will be a last resort.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

You can pull as much as you can manually which I'm sure you've already been doing.......sounds like the mag raising still needs to go higher. I'm glad to see that clarified in case mine comes back.

7. mdbostwick

Yes. Thank you all for the information. I will post again when I have some results.

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

Just a bit of an update.

I have my Mag at 1650 now for about a week almost 2. The bryopsis no longer looks like it is growing but not showing any die off at this point.

I skipped my WC last week to keep the mag up at that level, while monitoring my nitrates, phos, cal and alk.

Everything seems to be doing well but was curious how long it should take to kill the bryopsis? Is it a mistake to hold off on my WC until this is gone or should i continue WC and keep dosing Mag until i see results?

10. oldfishkeeper

it sounds like you still need to raise it higher md.

11. mdbostwick

Anyone have any suggestion on the WC issue as well.

12. oldfishkeeper

I wish I knew the answer md! bump for your question