Name That Algae!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mdbostwick, Mar 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry they are sideways. Not sure why they were rotated when uploaded

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Also, quoted from ReefCleaners...

"Some of the hardest to remove common species of macroalgae encountered in the hobby are B. pennata and B. plumosa. These two species have noticeable discernible midribs (center portion of the algae), that are wider than their branches. They also form a mat like root system on the rocks.

B. pennata (pictured on the left) has irregular and more sparse branching than its closely related cousin B. plumosa which has more symmetrical and fuller branching. (picture coming)There are many, many species of Green Hair Algae that have feathery branching, and are not necessarily members od the Bryopsis genus, nevermind B. pennata and B. plumosa. Simply because the hair algae in your system has branches does not mean it is one of these algae species.

The reason hobbyists despise finding this algae in their tank is because cleaner crews rarely finish it off when they snack on it. Sea hares, nudibranchs, urchins, emerald crabs, chitons, and even the larger Astrae tuber will nip at both of these species, but rarely consume it with any effectiveness.

If you do confirm you have Bryopsis:

1. Try to get on it quickly. If it is only on one rock remove the rock, remove algae, starve of light in a QT.
    2. Manual Removal - If that doesn't work or get it all, remove all you can by hand. People will tell you not to do this because it will spread. Let me assure you, left untreated bryopsis will spread. Just be careful about it, and if you can pull the rock out to remove it all the better. If takes hold in the sand sift it out with a net. If you don't remove the base of bryopsis you are wasting your time.
    3. Starve it out - As always if you can get down nutrients nuisance algae has a harder time taking hold, or coming back after manual removal.
    4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 aggressively.
    5. If that doesn't work try raising your magnesium to very high levels. I don't want to be blamed if this causes losses in your tank, many people have done this with great success and minimal stress, but still....please do your research and don't blame me if something goes wrong. I say QT."

6. mdbostwick

That is some excellent information. I didn't realize this stuff was such a nuisance but since I had a bout with bubble algae a few years back I will go at this stuff with full force.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

good luck!! I had a little bit of it at one time in my tank - looked like yours but not positive it was bryopsis - I kept manually removing it and reducing my phosphate and it has since gone away. You can conquer!

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

So I am a bit perplexed. I have this Bryopsis issue going on and some other weird looking algae going on. I have been using new API Nitrate test barely showing any thing and I have been using an old API Phosphate test kit giving me a reading of 0.

So naturally, I was skeptical about this reading of 0 on the phosphates, thinking the test must be too old and just not working. My Kh and Cal tests came from the same kit and seemed to have been at the least giving me consistent results and had no Mg test at all.

So I bought new Salifert Phosphate, Kh, Cal, and Mg test kits from my most favorite and dependable reef supply shop, Amazon.com, which arrived about an hour ago.

I broke these bad boys open immediately, read through all the instructions and promptly went to test my water.

Results:
    Cal = 425
    Kh = 6.7
    Mg = 1500 (turned at the last drop)
    Po4 = 0

Yeah I was positive this last result was an error of some sort since I have a plague of nasty algae in the DT so I thought maybe it was where I sourced the water for the test which I pulled from the sump right before the pump sends it back to the DT (figuring this is what is being sent to my DT). So I take a new sample from right at the return before it hits my fuge thinking maybe my fuge and skimmer are just doing that great of a job.

Result #2
    Po4 = 0

So I am either doing something REALLY right, or something REALLY wrong and I know myself and am more inclined to lean to the latter.

Knowing these results, I think i need feedback on if it seems i am testing correctly, are any of the other results a factor i need to address and what other options/opinions about the Algae issue.

Thank you all in advance and sorry this was so long.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

have you confirmed that it's bryopsis?

You aren't doing anything wrong - in fact you're doing a lot right with your readings what they are. You have phosphates because you have algae - it's not showing on the water tests because your algae is absorbing it. Kind of cruel actually :( Your alk is a little low but that shouldn't contribute to algae (I don't think).

In terms of raising your Mag - I'm not sure how high it should go to get rid of bryopsis......?? I'll let others chime in.

11. mdbostwick

I haven't confirmed that it is Bryopsis but it sure does look like some of the pictures i have seen.

If only the macro in the fuge would be what is absorbing it. that would be great. I don't think the Alk plays a factor in the algae either but i am not comfortable at how low it is either. How much should I or am I capable of raising it without it solidifying?

And yes, hopefully someone can tell me how much to raise the Mg at a time safely.

12. mdbostwick