Name That Algae!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mdbostwick, Mar 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

They LOVE powerheads. I don't know why. So there's a chance it might scoot into one and get a quick haircut :p

Now that I think of it, there's algae that loves high flow, and accumulates on PH's if not cleaned properly. So maybe that's why they do it!

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

4. Chance

Wait! I found more!

"The Lettuce Sea Slug incorporates the chloroplasts (the portions of the cell responsible for photosynthesis) from the algae into its tissues, and thus relies on photosynthesis for part of its energy."​

5. Chance

Vinny is right, you know. While it would make a nice addition to any reef, you should never buy an animal to solve a problem. Because like you said, they become one themselves. Try the Mag. out first, then if all else fails, and you really like how they look (I do!) then pick one up.

2 people like this.
  6. Vinnyboombatz

This is from Dr. f&s.

The Lettuce Sea Slug is an unusual and entertaining addition to the reef aquarium. It has highly folded parapodia (side appendages), which give it a ruffled appearance similar to lettuce. The Lettuce Sea Slug is captivating not only for its interesting shape but also for its purposeful and comical manner in which it creeps along your reef aquarium. The coloration of the Lettuce Sea Slug generally ranges from green, yellow, or brown.

The Lettuce Sea Slug may also be referred to as the Lettuce Nudibranch, or Green Lettuce Nudibranch, although it is not a true nudibranch. It has been referred to as both Tridachia crispata and Elysia crispata. The Lettuce Sea Slug will do well in established aquarium systems, if provided ample room to forage. It prefers an aquarium with live rock so that it can graze on algae. The Lettuce Sea Slug incorporates the chloroplasts (the portions of the cell responsible for photosynthesis) from the algae into its tissues, and thus relies on photosynthesis for part of its energy. Pump intakes and drains can harm the Lettuce Sea Slug, so care should be taken to screen these off. It is sensitive to high levels of nitrate and will not tolerate copper-based medications. The Lettuce Sea Slug has no distinguishing characteristics to help differentiate it from its mate.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Trying to protect it from overflows/filters and ph's can be a pita.The Mag. will work!!!!!!:p

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

1 person likes this.
  10. Vinnyboombatz

11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Thank you for all the info, I think I will do the Kent Mag. I will post when I have results.

12. Vinnyboombatz

If you do go with the Lettuce Nudi check out the pacific version they are stunning.:)