Name 3 Easy SPS Corals for my setup.

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Night-Rida, Jan 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i think pavona is easiest.you can grow it in a soft coral tank

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I have a frag of a acropora valida that is one of the hardiest SPS in my tanks although it will definitely depend on the source of your frag. My montipora capricornis as well. I also have a couple acropora millepora frags that are extremely hardy. There are lots of corals that will be really hardy I think just because of their genetics. Like someone said if they've been well aquacultured they will tend to be more hardy.

But I would stick with the ones mentioned if you don't have a trusted source for giving you hardy frags. There are a huge variety of these corals too so I'm sure you can find something that is attractive to you within all those genera.
    Montipora
    Seriatopora (birdsnest)
    Stylophora
    Pocilliopora

Also +1 to sticking with cheap frags at first, don't get tons of them though IMO because eventually they will take up a lot of space and you may find yourself looking for more exciting/expensive corals but be stuck with all your cheap ones. Hardy usually means fast growing and these corals can definitely grow like crazy when they're settled into a well-maintained tank.

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

thanks everyone for the info!

5. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

montipora are easier. Some acro are easy too; what you want to get are frags of corals you like, one at a time and set them on a frag rack to observe. Do a lot of testing and adjust as you need too. Good luck, and if you choose to do sps it is easier if you set your tank up with a lot of water movement(30xplus) a lot of light and a lot of protein skimming, and a refugium helps.

6. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

plus anything above 5ppm nitrates will make sps corals loose color

7. alovely

alovely Astrea Snail

me personally i have had the worst luck w/ montis so I would go with green slimers they are really easy, blue torts, birdsnest also are really easy too