Name 3 Easy SPS Corals for my setup.

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Night-Rida, Jan 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Phosphates.......... Takes very little to upset SPS.

Montis
    Some Birdsnests / Poccis
    Pretty much anything green. For some odd reason, If it is green, I can't kill it.

Also something to consider.... If it is aquacultured, it is generally a hardier coral. They are a little more expensive, but might be worth it to you.

2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

pocillapora.... stylophora....

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

what to much at once? :) how much than? 1/2 teaspoon with 1 gallon of top off water?

I thought kalkwasser raise calcium and ph, and lowers dkh if used to heavly? wrong?

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

it should be dripped slowly over a couple hours . . . read the instructions.

~Will.

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

my bottle says 2 teaspoons for every 1 gallon of water being used as top-off water.

Kalkwasser Calcinex "ultra pure calcium hydroxide" by aquatronics

maybe different brands have different dosing.. well lets get back to the topic!

any easy more SPS out there!?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Your supposed to drip kalk. You gently aggitate it in a one gallon jug, do not shake the jug, just keep moving it so the water is twirling and all of the power disolves. Then you let it sit for a good 5 minutes. Then you take some cheap airline tubing (sold at walmart for $1.32/25 feet)tie a loose knot on one end and place the other end in the jug. A gallon jug of Kalk is only good for a couple days, then it needs to be re-mixed. After leaving the jug sit for a couple minutes, the solution will separate and you will have 3 layers, bottom, middle and top. You want to drip from the middle layer only, not the top nor bottom, that water/kalk should be discarded after center is dripped out.

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

ok I'll have to make a airline/1g jug drip thingy. thanks for the advice.. any more SPS?

I think we got 4 so far.

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Some easy sps are montipora, stylophora, pocciliapora, psmmacora. I would go with cheaper frags so if they die, your not out a lot.

11. firewalker

firewalker Plankton

I would start with a birdsnest. They are colorful and fairly easy to take care of. Make sure the hair algae and cyanobacteria levels are low before you add any sps. If you will have a problem initially it will be with those. If you plan to work up to acroporas these have the most similar growth form.

12. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

green birdsnest, purple/pink birdsnest, any kind of plating monti caps, green slimers.

Chalice isnt really sps but it is a hard LPS. Pretty hardy and cool looking.