My Yellow Tang Died :(

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by justonwo, Sep 8, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I agree with civic on this one. Besides what's in the fish food I buy, my purple 5ang will not touch seaweed sheets no matter how I serve it but he's very healthy and looks great. I belive the inconsistencies within the tank upon the changes probably did the fish in. It happens in this hobby and we learn from our mistakes juston.

2. Click Here!

3. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Yep, understood. I think I'm starting to get that changes must be made very cautiously and slowly. To be honest, the questions arising in another thread about Seachem salt have really thrown me for a loop in terms of alkalinity, but I have a plan now. Slow and steady clearly wins this race.

I dangled the nori from a clip in the center of the tank using a piece of dental floss and they are now happily picking at it.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

good news! Sorry about the loss - anytime a fish dies, it's a sad day

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Sorry for your loss, Juston.

You've already received a lot of excellent advice, but I'm still going to ask- how long did you have the YT and was it eating? Sometimes Tangs (and other sensitive fish) are so mistreated during capture and shipping that they are already doomed before we buy them, but it can take a while for death to occur. An extended period of shyness (or hyperactivity) and lack of appetite are telling signs.

6. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

This fish was about 3 years old and had been, presumably, pretty healthy and happy most of that time. He was moved about 2 months ago when we moved the entire tank, putting him in a bucket of saltwater for about 4-5 hours. Other than that, he's just suffered the typical learning curve of a newbie taking on a new tank.