My water Params..

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Meanie, Jan 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Meanie

Meanie Spaghetti Worm

So I have a few corals, and keeping them is quite new to me. I believe the Magnesium and Calcium are a bit on the high side.

Corals..
    Duncan
    Frogspawn
    Blasto
    GSP

Fish....
    Purple Firefish
    2 clowns
    hippo tang

inverts....
    2 emerald crabs
    bunch of snails
    2 RBTAs

Params
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    PH - 8.0
    SG - 1.024
    MG - 1500
    CA - 500
    KH - 10.5

The corals look fine. The GSPs are growing rapidly, the frogspawn and duncans look good, but I don't really see them growing but I have only had them about a month. The Blasto I have had for about 4 months or so, it has a bump growing off one side but it's been like that for awhile. It is a single head and has been that way since I got it.

Suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If your test results are accurate, they're a bit high. What test kit and how old is it? What salt brand are you using? do you use RO/DI water? Are you dosing anything?

4. Meanie

Meanie Spaghetti Worm

Red Sea pro reef kit, I just got the kit about 3 weeks ago, so quite new. I am using reef crystals, and yeah RODI water. Nope no dosing. I was reading another thread on corals and I think I will end up switching to the regular instant ocean....

5. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

New reef crystals mix at 1.026 I get: 470~480, 1455~1480, 11.8~12.9. Your numbers aren't too far off from mine and within the accuracy of test kits. I'd stick with reef crystals. Right now you have the luxury of not having to dose anything.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed, you're not 'over the line' on anything. :)

Did you stir the salt before using? Components often settle during shipping which causes slightly high (or low) parameters and inconsistency between batches. For a 5g bucket, I roll it around for 5 minutes or so.

7. Meanie

Meanie Spaghetti Worm

yeah I bought a box of the reef crystals, so I mix each bag several times before opening it. I usually roll it back and forth for about 5 or 10 minutes. Then mix in the RO/DI and salt in a 5 gal bucket for a day or 2 before doing a water change. Thanks for the help guys. I figured as I added more corals the levels would come more into check.

8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Those guys got you covered on the parameter side. I have the same corals as you do. My frogspawn and duncan seem to be my slowest growers. My duncan hasn't done anything that I can tell since I've had it. GSP grows like a weed so watch out. I've had my blasto (single head) for a couple months and it's about to split.

10. Meanie

Meanie Spaghetti Worm

How do you know it's about to split? Does it actually split in half like an anemone or does it just grow another head? The Duncan I got had like 15 heads on it. I got it fro 40 bucks and it looks to be doing great. My RBTA split the weekend after black Friday and both of them are doing great and have doubled in size since they split. I am giving one of them to a friend of mine probably this weekend or next week one day.

11. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

My blasto is green with red trim. The red has started to grow through the middle in what it appears to be splitting it in half to form two. Hard to explain, it's like mitosis in cell division if that helps.