My Trumpet Coral is Deflated all the way to it's Skeleton!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by HollyG, Dec 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I've had the trumpet (2 heads) for about 5 days now and it was doing great until 2 days ago. The fleshy heads are shrunken all the way to the skeleton, or at least one of them are. The other inflate a little bit but then stops. I have fed them once since I've had them and they were doing great. My tank is 10gals, two 20watt compact flourescent bulbs and a hamilton blue LED accent strip for lighting. one 240gph powerhead. The trumpet isn't getting blasted with current, it's in a moderate flow area. All of my other coral are doing great! frogspawn, kenya tree, mushrooms, devils hand, zoanthids, aqnthelia and 2 feather dusters. Is there something I'm missing? The lighting maybe? at the LFS they were under T5's and I have compacts.
    S.G, 1.024
    ammonia 0ppm
    nitrite 0ppm
    nitrate 0-5ppm
    pH 7.8 but stable
    cal, I'm not sure because I don't have the test for it at the moment.

what could be wrong with my trumpet?

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

From my own experience...trumpets prefer low flow. They also tend to close up right before they're getting ready to purge (poop) Your light should be sufficient..I kept mine under 2x18w for almost 2yrs without issues. Give it a week or so to come around.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It is important to test for Alk.,Calcium, and Magnesium with lps.;)

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They will do that periodically. As long as they are not showing the skeleton where the flesh is it should not be a problem.