My sump/fuge/equipment closet build.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Powerman, Feb 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

I'll keep looking for the post ...I get so lost in here anymore..I reply to posts, then get lost trying to rememebr where i was !!

Basically he ran two 2x4's thru the middle about 12-15 inches apart and suported them with vertical 2x4's on the outside. the verticals in the back of the tank were up close and flush with the tank and the verticals in the front were far enough away to allow for the install of the sump. It was a large tank also if i remember. If you think about it ....the rear support can stay so all you removing is the front one....so ithe 2x4's should be plenty.

Best i can describe...hate to see ya cut the sump up!

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So as much as I don't want to replumb, I'm going to. I am going to go with the Herbie method overflow. I will also hard pipe to the bulkheads and get rid of the hose clamps. This means I will have to return my water over the back of the tank. I'll still be able to keep most of my lines I already have, just make some stand pipes, connect to the BH, and run 1" PVC from my pump to my tank.

This will make things silent, no micro bubbles, no sponges or filters, and I can run whatever amount of flow I need.

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So I decided to do the Herbie overflow. Glad the stuff I did isn't really wasted. I can keep most of what I have and just buy extra to add on to. Got all my stuff to day to do this weekend.....

HOWEVER, there isn't a single PVC gate valve in this entire city!!! WTH? So I have to order one on line. Some plumbing supply houses here will order one for me for 40-50 bucks!!!:eek:

So I will have to wait till I get it. Probably next weekend.

The fuge is doing well. Already see critters swimming around. Evaporate more water now. And as I suspected, the closet is humid. Not too bad, but the end wall is an outside wall and is getting condensation.

So.... my next move will be to empty the sump, get all the carpet out, put a liner under the sump, and put some insulation board up on the end wall. The last resort will be to install a fan of some sort. Really don't want to do that.

I still have the distribution panel and the ATO to go.

1 person likes this.
  5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Got pics of the updated setup? Sounding very nice!

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Won't be able to do till next week. Ordered a gate valve on line. $31. Well... it's better than $46 and a week and a half.

I'm still waiting to get that Bullet 1 too. I'll let you know when it gets here. Expecting beginning of next week. I'll get pics of my EV-120 as soon as I get it out. I did look it over real well and there is no micro cracking at all anywhere.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Well... took everything out I thought would be OK. Now it is just a sump room. Got the carpet out and put down the rubber mat. More like foam, but dense.

Got the carpet out from underneath the tank. That was a bear. It was a bad idea. I should not have left it there in the first place. Put rubber mat underneath.

Covered the outside wall with styro sheet. I had condensation on the drywall. Glued it down, sealed it up.

So, hopefully humidity won't be such an issue. My next move is to vent, or cover the sump a bit. Had some of the glass left over from the baffles I removed. Fit well... at least half of it.

Next weekend it is the Herbie overflow. I'll post here, but I'm going to do a step by step of that overflow in another thread since I never found much on here about it. Everyone seems to direct folks to the Reef Central thread.

[​IMG]

Hopefully I should be getting the Bullet 1 this week too. Yeah!

...and I tried and tried but there is no way I'm getting the Mega3 out of the cabinet. I wanted to sell it, but now it looks like it will fall victim to the saws all. I really don't want to modify the stand, or break down the tank just to get it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I'm so bummed!

My Herbie does not work. My return line splits off to my fuge. It tees on the bottom of the drain line.

I plumbed the valve before the tee. Now, instead of sending water to the fuge, it actually siphons it. My skimmer section is about 3 inches shallower than my fuge section.

I made a vacuum break, but all that does in inject air. With the pipe below the water, it siphons. Above, it gurgles. Made a hole in the pipe going down, air. Then drilled a hole in the top of the elbow, still a ton of air.

I'm not sure if putting the valve after the tee would work. It might still siphon, but I doubt it. But, I do think it would be hard to tune the water level in the overflow.

I could somehow route water off a pump (return), but that would defeat the whole point of setting my fuge up the way I did. (Skimmer/return/fuge)

Right now, it is just running above the water line. Loud and bubbly as ever. Any ideas on the best way to go???

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

WOOHOO!

I'm stoked. Somebody give me a high 5!

So... got the Herbie going. Put the valve downstream of the fuge tee. Zero bubbles, zero noise, no more sponges. Got all the plumbing tied up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that's done, got my skimmer section all squared away. Still waiting for my Bullet 1. The seller is a little busy. Hopefully will be here in a week.

[​IMG]

This is the other side of my stairs. Plenty of storage for my stuff with everything out. Also, humidity has been much better. We will see in Summer.

[​IMG]

Got some grape caulerpa from my friend and the other has been growing. Been about 3 weeks now, but still not much going on in there.

[​IMG]

And of course.... the gratuitous point of it all...

[​IMG]

I directed my flow all to the back of the tank. Repositioned my PHs and everything is waving beautifully.

My 9.5 sort of sounds like it is cavitating with full flow. Had to valve it back a bit, but still have tons of flow. Have 3 nozzles going down the back. Drilled my returns to stop siphoning half my tank and took out all the line-loc.

She is all wrapped up, and I'm happy. I will have to wait a bit and get used to tuning before I do a ATO. Every little change effects water level, and level in the overflow and level in the full tank really effects return chamber level. So I will get used to it before I get my ATO going.

Even had time today to unglug the bathroom sink to keep the little lady happy.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Sweet!

1 person likes this.