My sump/fuge/equipment closet build.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Powerman, Feb 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Not sure what you mean. What do you want a pic of?

2. Click Here!

3. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

Sorry, I miss read what you wrote.
    I had the same issue, and no matter where I put that tube that is supposed to quiet it down, it made a gurggling noise. I did however, slow the system down by turning the return valve to about 70% of open, and made a cover from some left over acrylic I had lying around, and now I can't hear it.

[​IMG]

4. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

When I did a "lost power" scenario with my system, I found that the return pipes in the DT were suctioning all the water back into the sump/fuge and would overflow before it got to the level of the outlet.
    So I drilled holes 3/8 about a 1/4 down on the outlet pipes into the DT to stop the possibility of an overflow in the sump. So it would suck air back in and break the siphon. I thought you were referring to that kind of hole originally. Sorry, I shuld have had my coffee first! lol

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

No problems. Thanks for your input. Slowing the flow quieted everything down. Don't need to make the air hole bigger now unless I want to increase it again.

The return pipe I had had a siphon break. I forgot to drill one. I have line loc from the tee out so I at least kept the lines at the top of the water line so it siphons very little. Actually, a lot less than the pipe w/ the siphon break, and I always made sure the hole was clear when I cleaned the overflow. Oh well... another odd and end I need to clear up.

I don't know what I can do about the micro bubbles. I got them to stop only by putting two big Mag suction sponges in the box. It stops them, but I don't want filters I have to clean. At least my skimmer finally started skimming after the addition of 40g and all the new stuff.

6. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

Now that your fine tuning the Fuge....are you going to abandon the wet/dry sump that you had ?? and would you mind sharing the dimensions you have on the Fuge tank....to include the inside baffles ?? I am going to use a 55 gallon and start a Fuge soon, your tank looks shorter and maybe taller then a standard 55 ?

I also got the wifes blessing to go thru the wall into the garage. Setting up a 125 Gal.

Have you tried running a small diameter hose down into the line off the over flow? it quieted mine done entirely...not a burp since ! it might help with the bubbles also ...less aggitation down the hose? Justa thought

Thanks

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

GREAT job. K+. That is an excellent set up you have there. Keep the pics coming.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Yes, I'm getting my sump out of the cabinet. The LFS said they put meagoflow 3s in those cabinet all the time. I went to take it out and there is no way. I might have to cut it up. Really don't want to do that.

I will put my ballasts in the cabinet, and all my supplies.

The dimensions are 36x18x21 high. A foot shorter than a 75g. A 55g is same hight, 4' long, but 12" wide. Mine is technicaly a 58g show. Not much difference to a 55g, just shorter and wider.

My skimmer section is 14" long and so is my fuge. Skimmer is only 10" high, and the fuge is 15". I wanted more usable volume in the skimmer and return. The return is 6". My bubble trap is 3" wide total. The PO had only 2". I wanted wider to slow flow. If you are using a 55g and have a bit more length, I would suggest 2" for each. (4" total) for less velocity.

I set my fuge at 14" because at that hight it is 15g. With the sand it is around a 11gs of water. So use the volume calculator here to set your fuge for the amount of water you want, then just divide up the rest of the tank for what you want.

Thanks for the idea. I could run a tube to the bottom. Also, I have thought about hard piping to the BH fitting and using a 45 at the bottom of the drain line. Just like you say, maybe that would help wiht agitation.

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Thanks John. Still more tuning, and I will be ordering a ATO soon.

1 person likes this.
  11. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the measurments Power, and in regards to removing the old sump, I saw a post where someone used 2x4 supports thru middle and removed the center support to remove / install a sump, just can't remember where it was?

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Interesting. that is what got me started on this whole deal. Wanted a fuge along side my sump. No room. Had to break down tank to put in bigger sump. Someone cut a hole in the side of their stand. Did not appeal to me.

I'm glad you mentioned it though. I wanted to recoup some cost by selling my sump. I will look for other ways before hacking it up.