My Sailfin Tang doesn't seem right.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Sacohen, Mar 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Oldfishkeeper is correct it looks like lateral line disease setting in to me as well.

The fish also looks skinny as well, are you feeding it Marine Algae? If not I would start asap.

You're alk is on the high side?

The intent of the thread is regarding not long term placement of the fish, but rather the immediate health concerns, which I doubt have much to do with the current tank size.

It is not necessary to address every tang thread with tank size unless it's painfully obvious that is the issue and the original poster is seeking that type of guidance.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

I am feeding it Sea Veggies Green Algae.

I'm not sure he is eating it thought.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nori, nori, nori.

If he is not eating from a clip, you can tie it to a rock and let it sit. Grazing from rock work for algae is a more natural way for tangs to feed until they get used to the clip.

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

If he won't eat algae sheets, take them and rip them up into tiny pieces and put in the tank, under water so it submerges. See if he will take that. That's what I had to do to get my powder brown to eat.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

And I bet, regardless of grounding probe, you have some stray voltage somewhere. That does look like HLLE

7. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

I'll try both of those suggestions for the algae sheets.

I get a 0 reading on my voltmeter when I check for stray voltage with the probe in.
    If I remove it I get like 6 volts, very minimal.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I would locate the source of that voltage and get it out of there immediately. I had a couple of clownfish that I believe died from stray voltage and I had a grounding probe in as well.

10. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

I'm pretty sure it's my return pump.
    Someone in another post said that there will always be some minimal stray voltage and the 6V is fine.

No need to replace the pump right away.

11. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

if it is HLLE, which it looks like in the pick...voltage is not going ot cause it. As far as i know, there have been no studies to confirm any cause besides uncleaned cheap carbon at this point. someone correct me if im wrong on that.

12. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

I use BRS BULK PREMIUM ROX 0.8 CARBON and BRS BULK GFO - HIGH CAPACITY, neither of which are cheap.

This last time, it didn't get cleaned as well as I thought I did.

What can be done to cure/fix HLLE?