My RapidLED build (FTS Color Blended pg6)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Atticus818, Aug 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Looking good man. Definitely digging the new color scheme. I'm really wanting to see how fast your coral growth is. I personally think your stuff is going to take off!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Thanks man. I think it looks much better, closer to the ATI in person I think, so your really gonna love it when you see it haha

4. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Check out ledssuperbright.com for the UV's.

I'm only using 1 watter's but am using a meanwell constant current to drive em at 750mA.

5. Atticus818

Cool thanks. I did some research and it seems the consensus so far is that it does nothing noticeable at least. Have you see any result from them?

I was all ready to do it, but at 25 bucks an LED I had to do some research and it seems like most of the big names in LEDs are saying its not worth it.

I would love to hear what experience you had though, as in theory it makes total sense why you would want them.

Thanks!

6. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Yes those are expensive, which is why I've never bought them either. I only have five of them on my tank with 80 degree optics. With so few and not being that powerful, I can't honestly speak of noticed benefits. IMO on my tank, they're purely aesthetic. I've been running them with the rest of my LED's for almost a year now. Wish I had a more insightful reply :)

7. Atticus818

No that's honestly perfect. Its right what I had read from everyone else. Everyone said, looks good, doesn't do much, super expensive, probably not doing much. So good to know =) Thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I want to know what size tank you running these on the color looks great ;D

(sorry is you already posted I may nothave seen)

10. Atticus818

Its a 75g. Dimensions are 48x24x15

11. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

thread makes me drool. i am going to order that DIY kit once financial aid checks are in the mail. hoping to discuss further with my LFS about their opinion on the lighting for growth and coloration, atticus you have offered some awesome information and your tank looks amazing. i bet the camera does not justify the beauty.

you suggested certain light colors for zoox coloration as well as best for potential coral growth. with any more than 2 led lights in my kit, will i need to order a more than one controller and will it require additional drivers? i'm considering going with the color scheme you suggested. seems like it will offer a variety of color for my pleasure, powerful enough PAR for growth and the right range of nm for trippy florescent zoox coloration. i would like to keep my current UV led's running 24hours (nightlight and daylight addition) when i upgrade to the DIY kit

also atticus do you know the diff between the http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-21/CREE-XR-dsh-E-Q5-Cool/Detail & the http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-52/CREE-XP-dsh-G-R5-Cool/Detail -- don't know enough about lights to determine which is best for corals

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  12. Atticus818

Thanks for the kind words! I may have to revise my suggestion to you however. I would stick with everything I suggested but remove a 60% of the Blues and replace them with RB's.

The difference between the 2 links you posted is model. XP-E is ~110 Lumens @ 1000 mA where as the XP-G is ~ 140 lumens @ only 350 mA. That is quite alot more powerful, because you are going to run both at approximately 1000mA.

You will not need more than one controller.. that will do 9 separate drivers. You will only need 2 drivers for your kit. 1 for blues 1 for whites.