My RapidLED build (FTS Color Blended pg6)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Atticus818, Aug 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Always need the cash ;) It will be really nice if you decide to build it though!

2. Click Here!

3. Atticus818

So a small update with major news; It's done! (mostly) LOL They work, and are installed in the canopy, but I've encountered a few small problems. Which I won't bore with details until I can figure it out.

Just wanted to through up some shots of how it was mounted in the canopy and the driver locations. As well as a blurry FTS, which I shall try to update in the next little while.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

OLD:
    [​IMG]

NEW: Not color blended yet, just up and running.
    [​IMG]

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Oooh. Me likey. lol.

I like the idea of the dimmable cree diy. Do you think I would need a 24 led kit (sounds like a lot) for my 29 or should I go with a 12 or an 18 (if I don't get par30s) instead?

The 24 dimmable kit with controller ends up being the same cost as the 3 boost par30s with pendant fixtures.

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Seano...I'm running 8 CW, 10 RB, 2 Blue and 2 UV on my 29. I am growing SPS like you wouldn't believe!

6. Seano Hermano

I guess you picked out the stuff you wanted to make your own kit?

7. Seano Hermano

Thee only thing I don't like is after seeing a few tanks with cree lights, I've noticed two things.

-Excellent growth rates. (good)
    -browning; not actually brown, but after a few months under the crees, coral zoox don't appear to be as colorful as under the T5s/halides people had previously.

I am talking specifically about sps coral.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

I have multiple DIY kits. I just took the remainder from some and ordered a few more LEDs to make this one. I got the UVs from Edison via Hong Kong.

10. Atticus818

I agree with the browning. I am a little worried that may happen, but with the rising energy costs here in so cal, this was the logical choice for us.

11. FaceOfDeceit

I've had my SPS under my CREEs since April. I have noticed nothing but increased fluorescence and color. Previously I had a mix of 14K Phoenix MH and T5HO supplementation (ATI bulbs). I also have a few corals (SPS and LPS) that now display new color growth patterns after adding the UV lights into the mix.

EDIT: Seano and Atticus: Have you noticed the same browning with peoples SPS under AI Sol ligthing? I ask because everyone who has an AI Sol displays it as far superior than the exact diodes us DIY's are using.

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I have not experienced any browning of my SPS due to LEDs either, running CREEs since Oct 2010. Colors have only gotten more intense.

I'm with FOD; I'm willing to bet people who are seeing "browning" are using something besides CREEs...