My RapidLED build (FTS Color Blended pg6)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Atticus818, Aug 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I'm glad I was able to help you spend your cash on that LED kit. Now get that bad boy mounted up and lets go snag some coral!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I'm guessing the controller is for connecting the dimmable drivers? I'm thinking if I use the retrofit kit and this controller as a product list, I could probably put together the same kit for a lower price than buying it outright(tried to put together a shopping cart, its cheaper to buy the retrofit kit). I'm not sure on which light colors I need to provide photosynthesis but I would like to add a deep sea feel with some dark blues and during the day would like that popping crystal clear look but really its all about what the corals prefer. (would like to support maybe a sea fan, some hammer corals, and brains along with leathers and mushrooms)

what about this LED lamp for a planted 35g hex with 2 spoiled angel fish?
    36 RGB LED Nano Aquarium Light Red Green Blue Daylight | eBay

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  4. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

So small update;
    Today I got fixture number 1 near completion, and have started the second.

The 1st driver worth the LEDs is completed, and powered up to the controller.
    So the rest will just be me getting the replacement blues, and finishing up that row + optics. Now some photos!

This is all of the LEDs I had being placed in their location of the 2nd heat sink.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is an upclose shot of the star after I tinned the pads. All of the LEDs were tinned at once.

[​IMG]

Got all of it wired up and connected
    [​IMG]

Driver + controller all wired up and ready, and heat shrank every connection, as the wire nuts really just seemed sloppy and weak incase there was any force put on the lines.

[​IMG]

Powered up and setting the current on the SV2 pot;
    [​IMG]

My old lights for comparison:

[​IMG]

Whites only. No optics. 3/4 power off one module. Not mounted at all just sitting on my center brace, so take this shot with a grain of salt. But, I am pretty happy with the white rendition so far

[​IMG]

5. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Looks good man!! Really digging the crisper white look to it.

6. Atticus818

LOL Yes indeed. After that ALK crash, I need a tentative restock. Haha

Any colors you choose will be fine from RapidLED. You are correct the controller is for dimming control. You can go the route of pots and do it all manual, but a lot more wiring is involved. Not really much harder, but more time consuming and less clean if not done perfect.

In regards to you ebay link. I am not a huge fan of anything that has no technical specs. There is no sign anywhere that that could/would grow anything. I would venture to say that at that price, the components are extremely cheap, and far too low in power to provide anything other than a color to the water.

Thanks! That's only whites too, so I'm thinking with the 2:1 on blues to whites its gonna look really smashing.

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Nice! Im a huge fan of LEDs and plan to be doing the same type of build you are with a DIY kit.

8. Click Here!

9. Atticus818

Awesome! I highly recommend it! The process if nothing else has been really fun to build, and the results on color are spectacular.

Good luck if you decide to do it!

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

The only thing is if I decide to do so it will be over a 7 foot long tank. Haha. Well two of them actually. Im leaning towards that and a combo of a metal halide or two.

11. Atticus818

Now that would be a huge DIY project!

12. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Yeah it would! But Im really looking forward to it. Just gotta make the cash before hand though. lol