My RapidLED build (FTS Color Blended pg6)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Atticus818, Aug 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Thanks! Yes I was very nervous, but things got okay after the 1st strip.

Yeah, 1 of them LOL still gotta do the other, and since I got the wrong LEDs in my order that won't be this monday/tuesday after classes.

Because the module used only can provide enough current to 3-4 drivers depending on the actual unit. I suppose you could use 2 of the ALC modules, but that would cause other cost issues. For example, with my reef keeper there are only (2) 1-10v channels per control module. Yes, you can wire the drivers in parallel and have all 4 drivers run off of the 2 channels, However it cannot provide enough current to actually run the product appropriately. If you check out the various manufacturer forums, many people claim that it does not work for the vast amount of users. Some have reported that it can/does work for them, but not without troubles.

The only work around is to use (2) of these units. I hope I explained it okay.

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bmw112482

bmw112482 Plankton

Well that sux I'm glad I read this thread thank you for the info cause I sure was about to buy a controller mainly to control my lights but not if i would have too buy 2 module's they are 100 a pop

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

No need to thank me; but you're very welcome.

Glad to see it turned out well and you sound pleased; looks very nice.

5. Atticus818

No problem! You can still use the timers for on/off function using a controller but not dimming without the additional modules.

Thanks! I can't wait to see it over the tank.

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Congratz on making the 3reef top page!! Keep the pics coming. I love DIY/mod threads with lots of pics!!

evolved is my mentor too, btw :) He helped me with my Rapid LED DIY as well. Very knowledgeable guy.

7. Atticus818

Thanks! I will keep the photos flowing. Got the 1st one split loomed up so it's nice and pretty now, and the 2nd mounted and wired 1 driver. Tomorrow some more wrap up and canopy work hopefully!

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Thats amazing you can dim and control the colors so from what it seems you can get a huge array of color schemes, am I correct? I was looking at the par38 bulb, from what I can tell it's 7 LEDs in one and that would be perfect for my 28g nano

Here is a pic of a security desk I designed for a museum using AutoCAD and another add-on software. Been doing it for about 6 years but I'm still in school for the same thing actually :) with a minor in surveying.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Atticus818

Thanks! Yes, you do get quite a broad range of color out of this type of set up. That is really the only thing I could find that the $1000+ LED set ups had that the cheap ones didn't, so that's why I decided to incorporate it.

Project looks really good! I am not a huge fan of AutoCAD's 3d engine. I think it definitely has its upside for mechanical engineering, but for just standard renders I am not in love. LOL

This is TOTALLY off topic haha but its cool someone else is studying the same thing. Here's my final project from a couple years back for some basic 3d renders.
    [​IMG]

And to get back on track...
    I do think a par38 bulb would be quite nice of a nano. I am not sure you could keep SPS under it, but I am not sure that is your goal either. Although, just my opinion, but I have not been in love with the color and brightness of most par38 bulbs. That's just my 2 cents though..

Thanks for the comment!

11. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I'm still very new to this hobby and I just want to upgrade my lighting. Was considering the K-2 Viper HQI but after looking into LED's and the fact you can control the brightness and color scheme so it's a moonlight actinic and bright daylight all in one. Tbh I'm a little intimidated by the DIY kits although they look amazing, just not sure what I'm getting... not to mention I wouldnt know what I would need for the 29 Biocube. Oppinions on the Viper or whether I should go with LED

Was just looking at RapidLED.com

Biocube 29 Dimmable Retrofit Kit - $225

vs

K-2 Viper Deluxe HQI Clamp Lamp - 150W - $165

But again the LED's would allow me to pick my color scheme as well as control the brightness and the lighting. [would have to make thread on what type of lights i'd probably need]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  12. Atticus818

That would be perfect for you. I would maybe switch a couple of the CW out for NW LEDs though, but I prefer it to be a little warmer with my whites. You may not like it that way. You see it says you need a controller or pots though

So on top of that kit you would need:
    DDC-01 PWM Controller

I would say the DIY route is the best, but I understand your nervous. I was very nervous also but after a TON of research and careful planning, it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. If you have a basic understanding of what your doing (research) and are apt to learn, then you will be totally fine.