My RapidLED build (FTS Color Blended pg6)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Atticus818, Aug 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

So I finally went for it. I decided to go LED, and to DIY the project.

So I went ahead and ordered the parts;
    48 LED Dimable premium kit, changed to have (16 ) RB (16 ) Blue ( 8 ) NW and ( 8 ) CW instead of the standard 1:1 ratio.
    (2) 5.9x14" heat sinks from heatsinksusa.com
    Hakko 937 Soldering Iron
    60/40 Solder and separate flux (I know the flux is not needed but it helps quite a bit in tinning the stars.
    80* optics all around.
    Misc parts

[​IMG]

1st some photos of it being built; then an update after its over the tank.

Went ahead and figured out my pattern first...

Cyan = Blues
    Blue = Royal Blues
    Yellow = Neutral Whites
    Red = Cool Whites

So this is the array I went with:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then I have the unboxing of the rapidLED order.

[​IMG]

Here is the new controller from rapidLED
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to lay out the blues and RBs
    [​IMG]

All glued down and in place:
    [​IMG]

Just the blues on the 1st driver:
    [​IMG]

Lowest dim level:
    [​IMG]

100% power:
    [​IMG]

Crappy shot of my very 1st solder job ever! Not bad!
    [​IMG]

Special thanks to:
    Evolved for his help in learning a lot about LEDs and serious advice on what I was doing.
    Mike @ RapidLED for the perfect customer service and insane amount of help figuring out what I wanted and needed
    Travis45 for being such a good friend and helping me spend my hard earned dough to do this! Haha

Thanks guys!!!
    And thanks for checking my build out

Andrew

P.S. More photos to come as the 2nd fixutre gets wrapped up, the fixtures finished up, and mounted over tank shots.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Congrats..Looking good so far,and welcome to the led world.. I like how you went with diff blues and whites..I just finished a build my self not to long ago..keep us posted ..

4. Atticus818

Thanks! I took my inspiration from the AI sol blue.

5. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Very nicely done!!! I love LED'S!!

What was your old lighting?

6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Does this kit come with everything you need to solder the wires or the fixture to mount them to? This looks so amazing to me. I do not know much about LED's for aquariums, but can you change the brightness of different colors and the intensity to get different visual effects in the tank?

Very amazing!!!!!

btw +1 to the CAD skillzz ^_^

7. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

very cool! I would love to see some pics of all the lights on over the tank. I was debating on whether I wanted to put different colors on mine if I ever went that route. I'm interested to see what kind of color you will get :) also let us know how that controller works!!

8. Click Here!

9. Atticus818

My old lighting is a 6 bulb Nova Extreme running this set up
    All ATI bulbs
    Blue plus
    Aquablue special
    Fiji plus
    Blue plus
    Blue plus
    Aquablue special

It does come with what you need to mount them. You can order a heatsink (This is the "fixture" we shall say) with holes pre drilled or you can use a thermal adhesive. I went the glue route. I didn't own a quality soldering iron so that was separate, and an absolute must for this build. Also you need to get your own 60/40 solder, and I would suggest some flux. Those are the things needed to solder correctly and are not included with the kit, but can be ordered through RapidLED if you didn't want to search elsewhere as I did.

And yes it is all dimmable to get any blend of color you wish. You can go several routes on how to do this;
    A.) Go all manual on dimmers (physical knobs) and use timers to control on off.
    B.) Get a controller from one of the companies who offer them and use those to do your dimming and control the on off also.
    C.) You can use the internal pots on the drivers to blend colors by setting the max current to the correct level for you percentage for each driver then use the aforementioned controller to control sunrise sunset.
    D.) Use a reefkeeper, reefangel, apex, ect to control 1-10v dimming, but often this limits you to 3 maybe 4 drivers at full power, so it will not work very well for a larger tank such as mine.

Thanks for noting the CAD work! Hehe, I'm going to school for Architectural Engineering so I've had my share of AutoCAD/Revit/3ds Max stuff to do. LOL

Will do, thanks! I had read that many people loved the slight red spectrum from the neutral whites, without it being too overpowering, also the AI Sol Blue uses RB and B separately, and in person it really shows. You can get that crazy florescent color, or blend it all the way down to a smooth light blue that I would say is close to the 24k range. So add in the whites and its perfect for my needs. I really like the controller so far, but EVERY change emits a loud beep and it drives me nuts. LOL minor but very frustrating.

10. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Excellent job. I know how I was when I did my actnics strip. I was nervous.

11. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Looks great Man!!! Looks like you have the whole thing wired up and ready to mount?

12. bmw112482

bmw112482 Plankton

What is the reason you can only control 3-4 drivers on a controller I am about set up a new tank with leds and I am going to need 5 drivers and was planning on using an apex controller :confused: