My project

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by arius, Aug 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Im working on a 375 rite now, with around 500 gallons of total water volume. I hope u hit the lottery, in the last month ive dropped 6 grand on here and there supplies, skimmer, new refugium, tunze pumps, return pumps. If u want equipment im buying and using i can give u a list of manufacturers.

2. Click Here!

3. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Id start with a 40 gallon breeder get experience with marine aquariums b4 i ventured off into a system that large also.

4. arius

arius Plankton

The list of manufacturers would be good. This is the long term goal style of thing. there will be other tanks in between then and now. But for the moment im just working out what I'll need for the end result and scaling back. I dont need the lottery :D. All im really after is the names of manufacturers that make equipment for as large a tank as possible (say 1000 gallons) and a list of equipment I would need to make it as maintenance free as possible such as an auto top off so I dont have to keep replacing evaporated water manually. Or a calcium reactor things like that, more in depth things such as placement of powerheads for optimum flow/current can wait till later.

The only thing I need help on NOW is how to set up a sump/refugium. The way I see it if I have tank water drain into a refugium then straight back into the tank then any waste in the refugium will get washed back up to the tank, or if the filtration in the refugium is good enough to filter its own waste, then im constantly draining "dirty" tank water into the fuge which then has to be filtered as well. And if all of this is going to the refugium, where do i put the protein skimmer and so on? before it or after it. If before it whats the point of the refugium and if after then im killing any small inverts that could be pulled up to the tank to feed the main tank! I know theres an explanation for how it would all work but I can't get my mind around it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  5. arius

arius Plankton

well that was very helpful, cheers

6. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

I know you already stated that it won't be for a while... but there are huge factors when setting up a 500-1000 gallon tank. The most obvious are that it is going to cost a mint in hydro and other operating costs (additives, etc)- all aside from the initial setup. Secondly, once you have it setup, you will probably never want to move it again- so you'd want to make sure that whever it is that your setting it up- you'll be there for a while. I think you'd be wise to write down your list of equipment and start adding up the prices of everything before you start any purchases. Liverock alone for a system of 1000 gallons would be somewhere in the 5000 dollar range. But hey, if you have the money- go for it. They're beautiful pieces of natural art when up and established.

Good luck with everything- and keep us posted on what you decide to do!