My project

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by arius, Aug 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Skip the goniopora and/or flowerpot corals. They're nearly impossible to keep alive, even by experts. Also, you'll want to avoid corals that will overgrow everything in your tank, i.e. Red Sea Pulse coral which if I'm not mistaken is a type of pulsing xenia?

2. Click Here!

3. arius

arius Plankton

probably, I chose all those by what they look like as opposed to how easy to keep they are. Would have whittled down the list as I researched them more

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's a big no-no (and can lead to alot of expensive mistakes) :)

5. arius

arius Plankton

It was meant to be a list of what i'd like and then with help and research take of what would be impractical to keep. None of this is going into action for ages I'm just trying to gather all the information I can way in advance

6. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

welcome to 3 reef!!!;D

Good luck with your project!

The guys on here are great, they'll be able to give you plenty of advise...I too am barely getting into the SW game after keeping FW fish for years...

Good luck again!!!

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sounds like a great plan of action! Let us know if we can help answer any more of your questions as you go along!

8. Click Here!

9. arius

arius Plankton

can you recommend any manufacturers that make equipment for tanks of 500 - 1000 gallons? and what equipment could I get to reduce maintenance by as much as possible

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's a question for the others to answer. I don't know much about equipment but if you've got a livestock question I'm your gal. I'm sure Tangster will be back to answer your questions later on today :)

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd decide on if you want to keep soft or Lps or SPS corals some of all will mix well but some of all have very strict and unforgiving water and lighting demands . As for equipment yes thats about all I have ever dealt with is larger tanks and set up and design .. From the plumbing to the electrical.. needs. Oh and firstly I'd decide on what size tank you are going with until you nail that down then anything else if just a lot of what ifs and why not's or why fors and the different needs of a 500 to 1,000 is huge not much from one or the other will transfer over well to the other.

12. arius

arius Plankton

which of those would give me the widest range to choose from? Go with the 500 gallon