My Personal TaoTronics Review

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Kevin3884, Mar 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

I apologize not knowing more about your set-up. What exactly is the placement of the Taotronics. Did you cut-out your canopy a spot just for it or is it in place of one of your Al's?

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I cut out a spot in my canopy...I have 4 AI SOL Blues...they are placed as in the picture...u can see where the Tao Tronic is(its turned off but u can see it)

Attached Files:

4. windowlicker

windowlicker Astrea Snail

i have 4 of these fixtures 3 over my 125 and one for my 30 long frag tank. Sure the fans are noise but so is everthing in my sump and i have 4 units runnig in my dinning room. I'm very happy with the fixtures but im sure almost anything is better than the t-12 vhos i had over my dt

5. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Ok...thanks for that photo. Clears things up for me tremendously ;). So the Taotronics is in fact supplemental to your current lighting. Thought it was a stand-alone for a certain part of your tank. If that were the case, it would be a better testament to it's effect on your coral. There are however, similar fixtures out there that have been proven so that need not be answered. Still looking forward to how things do though. I'll stay tuned :)

6. Kevin3884

Yes, but trust me ill know within a week or 2 if they have an effect of my coral....

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Not to hijack, but did you see my thread?

http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aquarium-lighting/chinese-120w-leds-my-first-review-131959.html

I made my canopy open top, so it cuts down on the side light into the room.

I have 2 of them over my 125 long, and my corals seem to be loving it.

I have my blues only on for 10 hours, one hour before and after both the blues and whites on.

I might have even sprung for the dimmable versions, had I known they had them when I bought mine. I needed lights fast however, so I could send some brand new PC's back for refund- which I got ;-)

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

I am seeing an unusual amount of growth on my christmas acro since these lights went on. Seriously its a very slow grower, and since these lights went on...i'm gonna say there is about 1/4" of growth on 1 of the branches in particular and about 1/8" growth on the rest...and on a different acro as well there has been 4 new branches pop out of the frag...pretty nifty

10. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

I was going to do another DIY for an upcoming build but buying 2 of these and replacing the fans will be much cheaper. Thank you for this whole review thread, it's made my mind up.

edit: also big thanks to Todd_Sails as well!

11. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

The only design aspect of these I dont like is having the two cord per unit coming up to them. I am looking into getting new LED's and the price is right but I want a sleek look. Hang two of these from the wire hangers looks nice but then you have those 4 black cords. If only they were wireless...

12. Kevin3884

yeh with my canopy its not and issue...my tank is about 6.5ft tall total...so unless ur really tall or really looking for them, u cant see anything :)