My personal method of acclimation (Based on my experience ONLY)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Boywithafishtan, Jul 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Nobody is saying you can't, but you come off like you are telling everyone else how they should do theirs (only ONE way), armed without anything other than anecdotal evidence.

I have drip acclimated 15 fish, some more than once (into and out of QT to DT) with only one loss, which I do not attibute to drip acclimation at all due to length of time between acclimation and death (month plus/no visible signs of parasites/no other fish in distress).

Also you said, "parasites are ALWAYS there. You cant avoid them." This is false. If you do not introduce parasite ridden fish, or LFS water into your tank then you have no parasites in the tank. Period.

Let me repeat that, if you do NOT introduce parasites into your tank via fish or LFS water then you cannot have parasites in your tank.

They are there because you put them there, one way or another, whether it's by water, or host (fish).

Saying you can't avoid it is a cop out and akin to saying that because your father died of a heart attack you may as well eat cheese burgers all day, because you can't avoid having one yourself.

If you QT your fish properly and keep LFS water out of your tank you greatly reduce the chance of parasites in your tank. Are you 100% safe, no, but if you practice due diligence your risks should "approach" 0%. Moreso if you treat prophylactically.

And drip acclimation is not the problem unless you are doing it wrong.

EDIT: Posted this a little late I guess. lol

2. Click Here!

3. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

I respect your opinions and they seem really reasonable. I've always considered the drip acclimation to be good in warm weathers, but... Never really had sucess with it. I might be using it more in the future, but the fish i've added with this method are all doing well, and i'm happy that i finally found a better store, and a better method for me to actually keep my fish alive :)

4. Boywithafishtan

Sorry that i might have offended anyone, i dont want to and i'm so sorry. I just got advice from another dude, that said that parasites are always there. Guess hes wrong then, well, then i learned something new :) Thanks! Oh and btw, yes QT is a great way to make sure your fish arent developing any bad parasites or diseases, but i dont have enough money to afford that, as i'm a kid, and cant get any free-time job at the moment. However, yes QT is the best way to go. QT ftw :)

5. Marty

Marty Stylophora

If it works for you. Go for it. ;D Good luck.

6. Boywithafishtan

Thanks :) Luckily, i dont have to do anymore additions to my tank, i have it stocked as i want it to be, and everything is doing fine. So no more worries about that for some time (Untill i have to sell some of my fish, or that i'm gonna get a bigger tank) :D

7. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

House temp is 73 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Tank temp is 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
    (Roughly)
    How does the cold weather outside make the drip acclimation make a huge temp swing?
    Sorry im still confused.

8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Those are pretty bad short or long term fish choices.

10. Boywithafishtan

Because if its cold outside, its also colder inside. Thats just how it is. Even a small change in temperature can be stressful to fish. But i say it again, after 100 times. I use this method, based on my own experience. This is the only way I can make my fish healthy, and many other danish people use this method aswell. Also, remember i got this method, from a dude that was 70 years old, and he said he had saltwater aquariums for about 25 - 26 years now. I always get reccommended from people around here to use this method. But again, it works for me, and its the only thing that works for me. And i'm 100% sure that i do the drip acclimating right, but it was just not the season for it. When your room temperature is just one tiny bit under the temperature of your tank, or the water thats in the fish's bag, it can be very stressful, to many sensitive species of fish. I hope i stopped the confusion :) But again, i'm not saying this is the only right way, and i'm not trying to be smarter than the people who have been in this hobby alot longer than me, i'm just saying that in my experience, this is the thing that works.

11. Boywithafishtan

Why? :) I really like these fish, and they're doing very well together. Actually, i'm surprised how my dottyback is so peaceful. He does chase new fish, to show that hes the boss, but after a short amount of time, he stops. And all of my fish are happy and healthy, i'll make a new video soon, and you can go check it out if you dont believe me :) I'm thinking of making a feeding video very soon, so that you also can see that these guys eat all the time.

12. Subrad5446

Subrad5446 Plankton

Ok, this is REALLY bothering me guys. I've just started reading this thread, and I feel compelled to help this lad. Even though it's been a while....
    To start off with, let me tell you, with all due respect, your method sucks. I understand the thought process, and if it works for you, it is not because it works, but because you have been lucky. I know your probably a little young for this analogy, but it's the best I've got. Plenty of people have unprotected sex and don't get pregnant. This does not mean this is a foolproof way of not getting pregnant. They just got "lucky"
    You need to focus more on what your doing with drip acclimation that caused you to lose your stock. Let me debunk your theory for you. Nobody has seemed to touch on this in detail.
    The temperature of your tank is somewhat reflective of the temperature of your house. By this I mean that it is within a few degrees of each other. The fact that you live in a cold area and still have a tank tells me that you have a heater in your house. So lets say for the sake of argument that your house temp is 25. That's because it's cold outside and your heater is set to that temperature. If you were to leave a cup of water on the table, it would never fall below 25. It doesn't matter what the size of the cup is, your house is set to that temp, nothing in the house will fall below that temp. The swing in temp from the tank to the containter you are aclimating in is the whole point in aclimation. It's not going to be enough to harm your fish.
    Once again, it works for everyone but you. Instead of focusing on what you could do different, I would focus on what your doing wrong with acclimating. Everyone here is just trying to help you avoid a problem down the road.