My newly acquired 180, and the 2 holes already drilled, with Pics...

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Todd_Sails, Jul 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

So, I picked up a really nice Aqueon 180 tank, drilled two holes mounted horizontally hear the top near one end.

I didn't unscrew the bulkheads when I bought it, and took it home.
    Tank itself is in great shape, no scratches, etc.

Days later, I unscrewed the bulkheads, kinda rough under there!

Heres some pics- the glass holes are 2 & 3/8 in., the bulkhead ID's are 1&7/8in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the bulkheads, and the rubber was only on the outside, and no silicone was there either.

I think I have my work cut out for me, no pun intended.
    I have to get those to seal, if they don't already, and fashion the overflow box. I'm thinking of a coast to coast, slightly slanted toward the end with the holes.

Any advice on the bulkheads please?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Well someone more experienced will hopefully chime in as well, but you should not use any silicone on the bulkheads. The gasket should be on the side opposite the nut, regardless if it is in the tank or out of the tank. I would say just pick up a couple new bulkheads just to be safe. Being high up, there will not be any pressure on them, so it won't take much to seal.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

OK Marshall, the gaskets was on the opposite site of the nut, as you say.
    Since it can go either way, Should the gasket be on the inside, or the outside?
    It was on the outside.

Not sure why I'd need new bulkheads though, these look brand new.

All yee bulkhead guru's, please chime in!!

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

The gaskets should be on the side opposite the nuts ;) So it depends on the installation. I have some where the nuts are on the outside of the tank, so the gaskets are on the inside, and some where the nuts are on the inside of the tank, so the gaskets are on the outside.

And if the bulkhead and gaskets are fine, then by all means use them!

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

You can see by my pictures, I feel someoine did a poor job drilling this tank. Too much chioped/beveled edge.

They are huge holes though

7. Meanie

Meanie Spaghetti Worm

Inspect the gaskets, make sure they are not tearing or breaking. If in doubt just order new ones. it is a small price to pay to know they are new seals. when you install the bulkhead the gasket should be on the inside. Get it set against the glass first then screw the nut on, make sure you are not pinching the gasket when you screw it together. Do not use silicone. I know a few people have but it's not necessary. Tighten by hand, if you want to put a wrench on it, only go a 1/4 turn more. Don't risk breaking the glass. You can sand the edges of the holes with sand paper if they are really rough. Good Luck.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

OK, thanks.

One vote for the gasket on the inside.

Others?

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

As Marshall already said, it doesn't matter which side the gasket is on, so long as it's on the opposite side of the nut. I have them both ways on my tank for installation reasons.

And take a look at this: http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/bulkhead-installation-tips-111422.html

As for them being used, it's not the plastic parts you need to be concerned about, but the gasket itself. If it's at all dried out or has any small rips/tears, it could leak after you re-install them. Replacing them could be cheap insurance.

1 person likes this.
  11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Trust Hunter and me :)

Now, as far as why. The nut is only used to tighten the bulkhead, not to seal. If you try to put the gasket on the nut side, regardless if it is in the tank or not, it will leak. That side is not designed to seat the gasket. The gasket needs to be seated against the other side to seal. Hope that helps explain it a little more.

12. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

I vote the nut on the outside! That's how I have all my tanks