Unresolved My new wrasse is dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Moby Duck, Aug 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

So I just added a wrasse to my tank along with outer corals. I noticed he was laying on the sanded in te corner of my tank... My other tank inhabitants are ok... Is it normal or is he dying?

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

What kind of wrasse? There are quite a few who are very shy, especially when first introduced in the tank. And when you say laying, like on his side? Because that would not be normal IMO.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Agree...need more information. Wrasse species? Acclimation procedure? Lights on or off? If on, turn them off for the rest of the day. What other tank inhabitants (fish) do you have?

5. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

It's an ornate wrasse and he is completely on its side hiding. Lights are off and the only other fish is a yellow tang

6. phg1960

phg1960 Plankton

Ornate wrasses are quite shy and will often bury themselves in the sand. If you have coarse substrate it may be too difficult for it to dig in. I wouldn't worry about it. Leave the lights off for today. It may exhibit the same behavior over the next few days, but will come around as it gets used to the new environment.

I had a dragon wrasse bury itself after being added to the tank. Didn't see it for a week and thought it died. One day it came back out and was fine. Would hide from time to time. That's just what they do.