my new tank has algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by spudsy69, Mar 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. spudsy69

spudsy69 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My whole tank is covered in diatoms algae any way to get past this faster tanker is 1 month 6 day's old
    Tank is cycled.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm not sure there is a quicker fix to diatom blooms other than time......I'll let others chime in.

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Diatoms just have to run there course. When the available silica is used they will go away.

5. spudsy69

Ok algae is so bad turbos wont touch it I'm now running lights for four hrs I've lost 2 fish not sure why wondering if algea has anything to do with it

6. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

pump your brakes my friend !!! Algae is a natural part of any reef tank, sometimes it will happen.

New setups need to cycle and this requires time !! How is your flow/turnover rate...that will help more than any snails !!

7. spudsy69

Yeah that what I need to look into only thing moveing water is the filter its a aquaclear 70 its a 55g tank not sure I have enough water movement the top of the water on there right side. Looks like its not moving so I think I need to do something about flow in my tank. And I know the whole algea thing but water has Ben tested 3 times everything is good

8. Click Here!

9. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Ok listen just look at your tank, step back, apply breaks and dont wry this is a natural part. My new tank is being pounded by cyano, I just keep my water changes once a week, while sucking up as much as I can. No way to speed it up you move to fast and you cause more problems than needed. I learned this lesson just everyone else.

10. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

that 300 GPH !!! :confused::angry::eek::-X:cry::-/

I have 2,400 GPH in a 40g Breeder build lol !!!

Damn man even in my 15 I have 1,002 lol

and the 5 gallon pico has an aquaclear 50 on it lol !!
    YOU NEED WAY MORE FLOW...and plenty of patience

11. spudsy69

What kind of filter do you recommend vizzle

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Well honestly, how much you need depends on what you plan to keep in your tank, but for certain, you do need more flow. I have 30x in my tank, and that's considered low- good for fish, some LPS and soft corals. For SPS, you should aim for 50x or higher. By contrast, you don't even have 2x, not even enough for good gas exchange.