My new favorite fish! Barnacle Blenny

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by schackmel, Nov 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Thanks Inwall. That is the only spot of GHA in the whole tank. I guess from him poopin in there. He attacks the toothbrush.::)

2. Click Here!

3. anoush

anoush Astrea Snail

:) Thank you. I used to have a spotted-tail blenny who was very cute specially when my midas blenny chased him :) he died of some kind of parasite after a year :-( These barnacles look really cute and I am looking forward to seeing mine. I have already started looking at e-bay.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

+1 It's not often that I find a fish to be "cute" but that one sure is!

1 person likes this.
  5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Mine do not use a barnacle, but are using an old cocoworm tube, holes in the rock and a large turbo and conch shell.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

we have barnacles in each of our tank for the blenny, the one in the big tank swam as fast as he could to the back of the tank (had him in barnacle when acclimating and tried putting barnacle in and he swam back into the rocks in the back of the tank and did not see him for 2-3 weeks. then one day there he was in his barnacle. Now he has made a home in one of the corals and alternates almost daily.

my other one in the little tank hangs out in his barnacle most of the time, however he does go into the rocks a lot

7. anoush

anoush Astrea Snail

Thank you all for your input. I am happy to report that my barnacle blenny did find a home in the rock on a side where we can view him. He is so curious and so cute. He is always looking around to see what is going on. I just hope he gets enough food because very little of the food makes it down where he is as all the other fish are fast eaters :) I have seen him grab a few flakes here and there and he is really fast. It is so comical when he rushes back to his hole and misses it :) I have included a picture of him in his hole.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

10. Aaarrrggg

Aaarrrggg Plankton

I've fallen in love with those Hancock Barnacle Blennies! Might I ask where you guys bought them from? I'm having a hard time tracking them down. Everywhere seems to have different (non Muppet faced) Acanthemblemaria species.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

This may seem like a silly question, but where did you get your barnicles? I read about these fish and liked what I read but I could never find any barnicles I felt safe adding to my tank, most are ebay & stuff and I dont feel safe with them not knowing how they were processed or fear of buying one and seeing a plastic mold stamp on the bottom.

12. Aaarrrggg

Aaarrrggg Plankton

You can get them online, just do a search for "Natural Barnacle Clusters." LFS's will have them from time to time too.

I know they look a little fake when you see them online, with all that white and purple, but they really do look like that. ;D