My new favorite fish! Barnacle Blenny

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by schackmel, Nov 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

+1 on this. I have a Barnacle blenny in my 12 but no barnacles so mine's comissioned a larger astrea shell that's upside down in the sand! he's SO fast, think of a damsel swimming full tilt.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yes you can keep as many barnacle blennies as you want together as long as you have enough barnacles for them all. It is hysterical watching them steal each others barnacles. I just purchased an awesome barnacle blenny. Never saw this type before. Looked him up and found out they are called Hancock blennies.I will try to get a decent pic of him as others have stated they are fast as greased lightning.:)http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=46714
    They look much prettier in person.Orange rings around there eyes and pink lips.Looks like a muppet. I originally named him Kermit but after finding out the name I renamed him Herbie.
    P.S. If you ever need to catch them it doesn't get any easier then this fish. You could even take him to the movies with you if you wanted. lol

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

ok now i got to find that one! :)

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I have 2 species. I've never seen a fight. I think there's like 7 all together in a 12g JBJ.... and a guppy named "Survivor".

Each guy has picked a hole and no one has had a real estate arguement since.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

very good to know about keeping multiple together! My barnacle has like 5 more openings, so might consider getting one or two more if i can find some different species. I have considered putting some in my 125g as I did get a barnacle for there! They are so fast that I dont they will get picked on as I am planning on doing harem of anthias and wrasses.

7. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

cool fish great share...

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Heres better pics of Herbie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

OMG they are AWESOME!!!! Some of them have crazy awesome coloring. I was debating on ordering some barancles from John, but after seeing all these wonderful pictures I might have too now.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Don't enjoy their coloration....because you won't see it. They survive by popping out of a barnacle and nabbing a piece of food and getting back into their barnacle before the much larger fish ever see them. It is truly amazing.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

In other words, they're the bees of the sea, if bees retreated immediately.

Probably really interesting to see the tank at feeding time, if you have a large barnacle cluster and 10-12 of them.