My new Elegence coral pictures

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Jay, Jul 6, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's great news Jay. 8) 8) 8)

Keep it up.. from what I have read, they are a lot harder to keep now than they used to be...

2. Click Here!

3. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

It seems they are having a lot of problems due to the harvesting methods.
    Good Luck, Keep us posted.

4. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Heres another set of pics from today. She is really getting settled in and comfortable in her new home. Lookin better everyday. These pics really show her size.
    http://www.3reef.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=559&cat=500&page=1

http://www.3reef.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=558&cat=500&page=1

Look at the hermit in the bottom of this picture to compare the size.
    She is really big I think.
    http://www.3reef.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=560&cat=500&page=1

How often should I feed do you think? I was gonna do every 3 days with a small amount.

Jay...............Still smiling, I really like this one ;D

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow! 8) 8) 8)

You got a beaut there!
    I think every 3 days would be fine for sure.
    What a great specimen. :thumbs_up

6. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks Matt. I agree Im stunned....really. Talk about getting attatched to your pet. I just hope I can keep it happy.

Jay

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Awesome speciman. I wanted to mention that Live Aquaria recommends daily feeding though.

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Ah...I see. I do feed with live Phyto as well as Reef Chilli that has spray dried plankton as well as cyclopsees and other foods of the 10 20 50 100 and 200 size micron. With the fish that I feed and all the corals that get fed my aquarium struggles to keep up with the bioload somewhat and it maintains nitrates always in measurable amount. I have read that the elegance coral actually prefers this rich enviroment, which is good because thats what I have ..lol. If I tryed to feed it everyday I think this would push my tank over into the high nitrate levels. I have found a happy medium here and it has been working. You kind of get to know your tank and its corals and what makes them happy.

Jay

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

They aren't filter feeders. You actually want to target feed them with meaty foods like small bits of small shrimp, squid, blender mush, etc. Elegance corals often have more than one mouth too so you'll want to feed the other mouths, if applicable.

With corals, you can tell how much food you need to give them by the size of their mouths. Most SPS corals have a mouth that you can only see with a microscope. That's because they get most of their food by photosynthesis and by using mucous to farm and capture bacteria. BTW...polyp extension doesn't mean diddly squat as a way to determine if they like your food or not.

Most softies have small or medium sized mouths and get most of their food by photosynthesis, bacteria, and dissolved organics.

Many LPS on the other hand, which is what your elegance is, have large mouths. If you ever buy a brain, hammer coral, etc. they benefit from occassional feedings of meaty foods. It sounds like you are feeding Golden Pearls. Maybe the largest size will be big enough that it won't float off.

11. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have been target feeding already. I fed mysis and krill the second day day I had the coral. I was just saying that with all the other suspension food and other stuff I put in the tank that daily feedings would put a lot of nutrient in the system. I intend to continue feeding my torches and other lps corals a meaty diet the way I have been....I am just going to add the elegance coral to the same schedual. I wont let it starve...I tend to feed to much..LOL ;)

Thanks for the tips everyone

Jay

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid