My new DIY tank design

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Infantry1327, Jul 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. asking4trouble

asking4trouble Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think it looks cool. I would maybe think about making the top of the bar curved to match the arch or make the arch square or take it out all together like 10acre says.
    Girl walks up to bar and bends over to look in tank, barman looks over bar to explain contents. I see lots of benefits.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Thats great. K+ for that.

I am in the process of measuring things out and drawing out a few of your suggestions. So I will throw up some more pics later

4. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

So I think I have come up with a final design. I took some new measurements and I will be able to fit a 150G in the bar and a 60G sump/refugium next to it.

[​IMG]

The tank will be a woody with 6 holes drilled. There will be 2 holes drilled in the overflow. One will go to the sump and the other to the refugium. The refugium will be located to the right of the tank. on eather side of the overflow there will be a hole drilled. The return pump from the sump will branch of and run to both holes where it will put back into the tank via 4 inlets. This will give me some decent flow without using ugly powerheads, The return from the refugium will branch off to the 2 front corners where the returns will be used as 4 additional power heads. This should maximize flow, and again no power heads. The back of the tank will be covered but removable.
    [​IMG]\
    [​IMG]

There will also be a barrel in the back right corner for the RO unit and the auto top off system. I am thinking about getting a old keg, cutting the top off and using that for the auto top off.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

awesome design. If you go through with this, I'll definately follow your thread. I'm impressed by this idea and your drawing skills also.

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I love the idea!

I personally would go with glass for the viewing pane(s) as acrylic is very easily scratched, and the level is too close to foot level.

As long as the top bar is hinged for access, that looks great, but keep the display as high up, and the sump as low as possible for the water to flow properly from the overflow.

7. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

The top part of the bar will be hinged to fold up and to the back of the tank and the back panel will be removable. That way I can access the inside of the tank from all angels. I will defenetly be going threw with this build. But its just going to be awhile before I can have it up and running. I want to make this tank as automatic as possible and all the equipment is going to cost me a arm and a leg. The actual build shouldnt cost more than $500 so I wil be doing that first. Then the equipment will be slow going. But luckily I allready have about 120 pounds of live rock between my 3 salt tanks. Yea thats right I have started 2 more salt tanks since I started this hobby in Febuary. lol But both of them are cycling right now.

Yea horkn I will probably go with glass. Mostly because its cheeper.

But keep your eyes open. When I start the actual build I will make a new thread

Any other suggestions???????

8. Click Here!

9. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Love it. When it finished you can invite us all over for a drink. I'm thinking tank/bar party everyone bring a bottle of there favorite liquor and a frag for your new tank/bar.

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I am assuming you will use epoxy / plywood construction, right?

11. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

exactly right horkn. I have been following your thread very closely, My woody will be very similar to yours, except my overflows will be drilled into the bottom center. and there will 4 additional holes for the return lines. But I am thinking about makeing the stand out of metal. Should give better support and leave more room under the tank for pluming

12. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I think I am going to build the center piece into the tank, then slot the wood and use 2 seperate pieces of glass. Should give me a better seal. I will also slot the bottom and the top. Cut the bottom then slot it. Install the sides, then the front pane slotted on the inner sides then I can slide the 2 glass sheets in and seal them. Then slot the top and install.

What do you guys think about the slotting idea?

P.S. I have just been promoted to feather duster. lol