my new clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by hottielover14, Jun 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I have to disagree with Craig about PC's not being able to do it. I kept mine under 220w of pc, and got great growth. My buddy has 2x 6" crocea's that he got from me when they were 2", and they're under 4x 96w in a 55g, plus they live on the sand bed. Currently, my 29g has 246w of pc (4x 55w 2sx 13w), and you wouldn't believe the growth I get. Funny thing is, I'm going to upgrade to a 150 HQI with 2x 55w pc's, but only to get my acro's to color up even more and for the color temp. I love 20k and I can't really achieve that with PC's, or at least not to my liking.

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

yeah cause mines under 260 watt of PC and it's doing pretty good too. I want to upgrade to a 2x175 MH with 2x96 PC but its like $550 and I have to wait to get it because thats a pretty big wad of cash. The good thing is that I can pay w/ monthly payments of $27. Or I could get a 2x400 MH with 2x96 PC for about the same price as the one above.

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Gresh,

No problem.  You are disagreeing with me and Barry N.  I have taken my cue from him as he has much more experience than I.

One thing is the PAR rating and the intensity, how deep were the tanks you referred to.  I know there are always exceptions to the rule, but I always error on the conservative side.

5. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

HL14, where were you planning on getting your MH kit from? If I were you I wouldn't get 2x400s. Thats gonna heat your tank super hot. You will definitely have to buy chiller.

6. hottielover14

i'm gonna buy one on ebay, they have this one w/ 2x175 MH and 2x96 PC for like $550 or this one w/ 2x175 MH and 2x110 VHO but it has a external ballast with it so it's like $495 and no bulbs. The first one has all the bulbs.

7. reefman_MC

Be careful with ebay stuff.

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

10. reefman_MC

Alot of my friends have been sent blown bulbs and messed up ballasts. Then they couldn't find the place that they ordered the stuff from. All ebay places aren't like that, but there's always that little possibility. Personally I would feel better knowing I ordered from someone with a good warranty, and good credibility. Just do what you feel good about. I'm not saying don't order from ebay. Just be sure you know all about the person your ordering from.

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I've heard of pepole buying computers, but only got a box of paper.

12. hottielover14

but so far I haven't been stung once. I've sold and bought a lot of stuff on ebay.