my new clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by hottielover14, Jun 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

what do u mean PAR? If it turns brown from lack of light then can the color be regained. Will it die from my PC's.

2. Click Here!

3. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

Again, not to burst your bubble, but I have to agree w/ reefman on this one.  Crocea's demand the most light of all the clams, then maybe maximas.  It would be best to return it or upgrade to MH's.  

How long has your tank been setup?  Are your water parameters pretty stable?

Btw, PAR stands for Photosynthetically Active Radiation

PAR measures the 400-700 nanometer range of the spectrum, which includes the blue and red ranges most plants and zooxanthellae use for photosynthesis. This is the part of the spectrum a reef aquarium uses, the only way to measure it is with a PAR meter or with spectral analysis.

Check this link out too: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/feature.htm

4. hottielover14

My tank has been setup for 8 months. The water is very stable. My blue bulbs is like 420nm and my daylight bulbs is a 6500K but i'm not sure of the nm. I asked live aquaria and the experts said that They need the most light of all the clams even Maxima. But they also said w/ PC's the clam should be up high in the tank. I was thinking that it's now on the bottom in my sand so I'm gonna put it on top of my LR near the top. The only bad part about putting it on LR is that once It goes on it's not gonna come off w/out hurting it.

5. hottielover14

i've put it on the very top of my tank and it's looking good so far. How long til you notice it turn brown from lack of light. What kind of food is better for my clam, zooplankton or phytoplankton.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

7. hottielover14

my clam keeps falling off from my LR when i put him higher but when i put him down on the sand he falls over. Is this normal for calms to do.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

My guess is that it is not comfortable and is seeking better lighting.  Thay are motile and will move to get to a better place.

10. hottielover14

do I have to feed my clam phytoplankton if it's the only invert that requries supplementry feeding.

11. Craig Manoukian

If it's lees than 3", yes according to Barry N.

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I'd feed it regardless of other consumers or its size. Try putting some rubble under him, sometimes they like larger chunks to attach to. You can also try to put a little rubble around him, on you rocks, it might keep it they. Mine have been fine on rocks, but my first ones a few years back, had to go on the sand or they'd jump every time.