My new bubble tip split in three...

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by hannanReef, Jan 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hannanReef

hannanReef Astrea Snail

About two weeks ago I purchased a new rather large GBT and placed it into my tank. Immediately my maroon clown became obsessed with it and they became paired and all seemed good until about 4-5 days ago. The GBT spread out along the bottom of a rock where he had been, but within 2 days it became 3 different pieces. Two of the larger pieces are still located on the same rock where it originally was located (one is still facing the front of the tank, and the other is facing the rear of the tank). The third piece floated to a calm area of the tank and seems to have attached itself back to a rock. My concern is that I have read several threads on here regarding either the split being a good thing, or maybe a bad thing because the anemone is stressed? Does anyone have any feedback for me? At this point all three pieces seem to be okay. They all have some tips that look perfect and then some of them that look like they are on the mend. Should I be feeding them extra? Do I need to worry about their location? Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Mine seem to move where they are most happy. As for the splitting i have always heard that is a good thing, cause when nems arent happy they turn upside down and close up deflate all kinds of fun nasty stuff.

4. JP909

JP909 Feather Duster

Yeah it's good or bad if they split. What are your parameters?

5. hannanReef

hannanReef Astrea Snail

My parameters

parameters:
    pH - 8.4 / Nitrate - low 5-10 / Nitrite - 0 / Ammonia - 0 / Calcium 500 / phosphate .25 ppm / dKH 161 ppm / Salinity 1.022-1.023 Temp consistent between 76.8 - 78.3.

Everything in the tank seems to be doing well I have growth occurring on my corals and my fish and other inverts seem just fine.

6. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

If the nem wasn't hosting before you brought it home it might have gotten stressed from the vigorous clown. I would try it with some shrimp to see how it feeds. Watch it for a few days and maybe cover it with a drilled clear container to it give some peace from the clown. JMHO;)

7. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

you no that spliting is bad right. its trying to keep its type alive. like a kanya tree, when they are dieing they will drop buds inorder not to lower their population

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have had more BTA's split at some point after introduction ( within 3 months) than not. Personally I believe it is some type of stress, but they all went on to do fine. Given the occassional small piece of raw seafood, quality lighting and good parameters BTA's are hardy for anemones. Introduction of an anemone to an established aquarium ideal IMO. The younger the tank the more prone to parameter swings.

10. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

even if it split because it was stressed, as long as all three pieces go on to do well you come out good. My new BTA is still clinging to the glass on the side of my aquarium where I can barely see it. How big was yours when you added it to the tank? Mine is nowhere near big enough for anything to host it ;)

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

splitting anemones is caused by stress or very good parmaeters, its a means to multiply if it reaches max size or its a means to keep the anemone going if one piece dies theres stilll anemother. i have had carpet anemones split but both are still alive right now so i believe it was to reproduce. i have a friend that will split his with a knife or point a powerhead on the anemone so it splits. it sounds cruel but he has a beautiful tank and its just a way to speed up the process, that is practically his business.

12. hannanReef

hannanReef Astrea Snail

Thanks for the feedback. at this time I am going to continue and wait. I will just make sure to keep an eye on all the pieces...