My new 29G DIY sump/refuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Infantry1327, Apr 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I decided to make a sump/refuge out of a 29G tank I got from my work. I have a Octopus NW150, a CS50 overflow box which is rated at 300 GPH, and a Rio Hyperflow 12HF return pump which is rated at 630GPH at 4 Ft.
    So today I finally got the glass baffles back from my uncles shop, and I started installing them.

First hear is the design I made, but forgot to include the ball valve on the return line so I can regulate the return flow.
    [​IMG]
    Hear is my progress so far. I have installed the bubble trap going from the skimmer chamber to the return chamber. The refuge side isnt complete yet. It doesnt look like I am going to be able to fit as big of a refuge as I wood of liked, but it should still help. Probably like 5G's of water will be in the refuge. There will be a 3 tier bubble trap going from the refuge to the return chamber as well. In the Pictures, the two pieces of glass are just set up to show size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A few things still concern me thow. With the sizes I have set up hear, Is my return chamber big enough. Or should I shrink down the refuge a little bit more to make the return chamber larger. And yes I know the silicone job is real messy, but I will be touching that up and cleaning the tank once everything dries.

So what do you think?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Looks good!! I love how people turn tanks the size of my DT into sumps/fuges...

4. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

So I got the last set of baffles done, did my leak tests and everything was leak free. I then ran all the plumbing and everything looks good. Now all I need is the pump for my overflow to get hear, and my Octopus NW150 to break in. I pluged it in for the first time today, and it doesnt really seem to be doing anything but makeing a little noise. But I know thats part of the brake in process, so we will see. I did find a few leaks in some of my plumbing, so I will haft to seal those up tomarro.

So what do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

Looking great! Just to help here is 2 bits of advise I have learned I thought I'd share.

1. with the evap, keep a good eye on the height of the return area. The area is kinda small leaving little room for the evap you'll have, or just get a ATO unit. You don't want the return pump runnin dry.

2. Run a "power outage test" as if the power went out just to be sure it doesn't overflow the sump as it will siphon water from your DT into the sump till it reaches the return tubes in the DT. Or do you have check valves in the lines to prevent this?

I love DIY sumps, and it looks great! keep us posted as it comes along!

6. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Thanks. But what are these check valves you speak of. The sump isn't running yet, I am still waiting for the overflow pump. Was supposed to be hear today, but fed-ex says it will be hear tomarro. I will do a power outage test once it is all up and running, but I filled the plumbing all the way up and let it drain back in the sump. It was about a inch from overflowing. But I realized the way I have the baffles set up, I can run the return deaper than the baffles. I will probably haft to add water to the sump everyday, but I don't mind. Once I find out the average evap loss, I will pre mix water and put them in water bottles for the amount I need. That way it is just add a water bottle each day. Will take like 2 min. lol But I was trying to go for the biggest refuge I could.

So now for some refuge questions. I plan on doing a deep sand base. But should I use the regular live sand like I have in my tank, or should I use the live argonite substrate?
    Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Substrate at PETCO
    I work at petco, so I get a discount. lol
    Also, what kind of lighting do I haft to run for the chaeto. Can I just run a regular flood light, or do I need a PC.

7. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

8. Click Here!

9. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I finally got my sump running. I haft to wait untill next week to pick up my chaeto and sand, but I got all the levels right where I want them. I will install a swing check valve in each line, hopefully next weekend. Excuse the lack of light as well. I will be ordering a 4 bulb 39w tek retro kit next friday. So please tell me what you think.

Hear is a video i made, yea yea, I know I called my Octopus NW150 a CS150. Well excuse my mistake, I am running on an hour of sleep. lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYmEEeJN0QY

Hear are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  10. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

1 person likes this.
  11. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

thanks, I may just do that. As long as I keep the water level just under that last baffle, there really isnt any noise. But the continous siphen pump is pretty loud. Cant hear it as much when the hood is on.

12. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

So I added 20 lbs of natures ocean live argonite sand. Then added a coralife mini compact fluorescent 50/50 light bulb. What do you guys think? Its 10 watts, 50% 10,000k daylight, and 50% Actinic 03 blue. Will this light help grow the chaeto I will be getting soon? I also added a filter pad to keep the chaeto and sand from getting into my return chamber.
    Coralife Mini Compact Fluorescent 50/50 Bulb at PETCO

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]