my green star polyp is almost dead

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by UMdmd, Dec 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. UMdmd

UMdmd Astrea Snail

My green star polyps had started to accumilate some alge growth. So I thought I should move them around to an area with some more current to keep algae from forming on them. The GSP didnt seem to like that much current. So I moved them last week. Now most of the polyps wont open and some of the areas that were once purple have receeded. What Should I do to save whats left of them?

2. Click Here!

3. UMdmd

UMdmd Astrea Snail

My Montipora is also starting to accumilate some algae on it as well. What is going on?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Can you tell us a little history of your tank? When was your last water change?

1 person likes this.
  5. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

What color is the algae growing? What is the exact photoperiod youre lights are setup for?? Water Param!???

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  6. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I was warned to watch this and use a tooth brush to clean them off. Mine came up just before i tried it. They were hidding for 3 days.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If they have any stuff collecting on them or in between the stalks they will not open take a old soft toothbrush and just wipe them off .

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yes, clean off the algae growing on it! And green star polyps will do better with moderate water movement to help keep algae growth under control as well as remove detritus from accumulating on the mat!

2 people like this.
  10. UMdmd

UMdmd Astrea Snail

Thanks all for the input. As for history on my tank. My ph is always 8.2, amonia, nitrite and nitrate are almost always undetectable. Supplement calcium constantly but seems like the halimada algea loves to suck it up. Iodine. Trace, magnesium, and stronium also once a week.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That all sounds good. How about water changes? Algae is always a reminder to me to do one.

Also, how would you rate the water circulation in your aquarium?

12. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

How long are your lights on? How old are the bulbs! Is the problem fixed, or are you still strugling with this?