My Frag Tanks with pics

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dngspot, Jul 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Great job buddy, everything looks very professionally done. Luna

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What type of frags are you going to grow out in this set up ? And as for your display tank being set up the same way , You remove the dirty water from one display then send it directly to another display then to the sump to be skimmed and carboned to remove toxins ?

I guess the tank being fed the exhausted water and waste particles from the 2nd one is the one really taking the hit then ? With corals and stressed frags they really will excrete some nasty toxins , and the upper one is going to contaminate the lower one . What you have looks good and all But I'm not one to sell a wolf ticket and puff smoke you are going to have issues with that lower tank. Step back and look at it . All the waste from the upper tank will just double the waste load in the lower tank and that will increase with time..

1 person likes this.
  4. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

////////

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Ive seen your pics of the system and to me it looks very well laid out and well built, ( only a little concerned for weight issues is all, imo ) .
    Look like every thing to me will work fine as planned.

You'll have to show us mor pics as you proceed with getting the frags in the tanks.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Great Job Tank's look great fantastic job beautiful best I have ever seen Good luck with it. I am sure you will see what I'm talking about sooner or later.. The bottom tank is going to have to be cut way back with new skimmed and filtered water from the sump as the top tank will be dumping its dirty water into it as if it was a sump for the top tank. Just trying to help you out buddy and if anyone else here patting you on your back can't see or understand what I'm saying then all I can say is they have never set up or ran a system like this up either. You have made no provisions for surface skimming from either tank and all the oils and toxins from the top tank will just overload the bottom tank/sump. But hey it looks great everyone kicks a goal :) Nuff said by me

1 person likes this.
  7. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

//////

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
    2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Some understand more than "some" tend to give credit for around here.
    (imo)

If he needs to make a "tweak" or an "adjustment" to the system , im sure he'll notice it right off.
    Ive seen absoulutly NO "one" system work right out of the box, every large or multible tank system needs somthing to be reconfigured or somthing added to the equation to produce optium performance.

I think ( right of the top of the mans head ) and weve all seen some god awefull night mares when the system was first built/made.

This setup appears "logicly" acceptable and will work, Karma to him.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

In theory this is a good set up. IMHO, there is going to be some serious problems unless its a species only system, like just zoa's and paly's, or just sps. I wouldnt have a mixed growout system with that small of volume. You would need a huge skimmer being directly fed by the drain, then what passes through the skimmer will need to be forced through carbon before it goes into the sump and back into the system.

Ive had several grow out systems, and killed more corals then I care to count out of ignorance/lack of experience growing them. You cannot mix your fresh cuttings (fresh=within 2 months old) in the same system, its worse then common chemical warfare x20 times of more. So if there is SPS with palys/zoas, the sps will not survive.

on a side note...IMO, if you've never had a growout system before, you dont need to be commenting on a thread about one like you know what you're talking about.

11. phorn

phorn Bristle Worm

As a newcomer to the hobby, I admire your craftsmanship. No doubt about. And while I have never had a grow out tank (or a marine tank, for that matter) I think we all need to remember this is a place for an open exchange of ideas. If you don't want or like the input from others, then don't respond to it, or don't post on the forums.

ANYONE who registers here can post on ANY thread, and "some", including yourself it seems, know quite a bit more than than others, like me. That's what I love about 3Reef, and, as a newcomer, I appreciate any alternative views to what someone may have done, or not done. There are many things, it seems, that work and many that don't. I became a member here so I could learn about ALL of them.

Maybe I haven't been around long enough, but I have not seen any advice given on this website that was intended to be mean spirited or to tear down anyones DIY project. The only things that I personally would consider mean spirited are the replies to the advice given.

Here is something to remember- "Advice is like a smorgasbord, take what you want and leave the rest for someone else." ;)

12. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

I am so done here.....